Savoring Savory Oatmeal

Timid No More ebook cover 150 #49. 101 things in 1001 days: Try at least five savory oatmeal recipes.

You are probably already a big fan of sweet oatmeal. These savory oatmeal recipes, though, might just keep you away from those bananas and raisins for a while.

1. Savory oatmeal with fried egg and Parmesan

I kept my first bowl of savory oatmeal simple: Oatmeal with a fried egg and Parmesan. I cooked the oatmeal in vegetable stock and added olive oil, salt, and pepper. Delicious!

2. Mediterranean savory oatmeal

Mediterranean Savory Oatmeal:

• Oatmeal cooked in vegetable stock
  • Sautéed garlic
  • Kalamata olives
  • Sun-dried tomatoes
  • Feta cheese
  • Salt and pepper

Delicious. I really liked the olives in it.

(Thanks to Shape.com for featuring my Mediterranean savory oatmeal recipe.)

3. Curried oatmeal with caramelized onions

First, I made a big batch of caramelized onions.

I followed this recipe from Tea & Cookies, except I used curry paste instead of curry powder. Very tasty.

4. Oatmeal congee

In Thailand, I once had a savory breakfast of jok, a rice porridge called congee in China. It was a bowl of very thin rice, topped with a variety of condiments. For my fourth bowl of savory oatmeal, I used that meal as my inspiration. {See: What I Ate in Thailand}

One part oatmeal cooked in three parts vegetable stock

Toppings:

• Bean sprouts
  • Scallions
  • Poached egg
  • Ginger
  • Garlic
  • Cilantro
  • Sautéed mushrooms
  • Soy sauce
  • Lime
  • Red pepper flakes

5. Basil pesto oatmeal

I made basil pesto to top my fifth bowl of savory oatmeal.

Ingredients:

• Basil
  • Pecorino Romano cheese
  • Olive oil
  • Pine nuts
  • Garlic
  • Salt
  • Pepper

I topped the oatmeal with the pesto and a little extra olive oil and cheese.

I liked all of these savory oatmeal recipes, but I think my favorite was the first one, with Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and an egg.

Update: Guacamole oatmeal

Guacamole savory oatmeal recipe

This is my new all-time favorite savory oatmeal.

Guacamole oatmeal (serves 2)

• 1 cup cooked oatmeal
  • 1 avocado
  • ½ tomato
  • ¼ onion
  • ½ lime (juice)
  • 1 t chopped cilantro
  • 1 t olive oil
  • pinch chipotle chili powder
  • salt and pepper to taste

And this was much, much better than my guacamole ice cream!

Update 2: Day After Thanksgiving Oatmeal

savory oatmeal

(See the video: Day After Thanksgiving Oatmeal)

How do you like your savory oatmeal? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

You may also like:

And now for something completely different…

Dance Central cartoon dancer

I Bust a Move

Inca Trail

The Inca Trail

This entry was posted in 101 Things, Food and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Savoring Savory Oatmeal

1. Travelbug says:

Did it really taste good? I'm too nervous to mess with my beloved oats
    I'll have to try out your recipe soon :)

2. thisthatbynat says:

This looks great! I've seen many recipes but have yet to try savory oatmeal.

3. Marcy says:

So delicious! I just made some for my sons (including a picky one), and they loved it too.

4. johnandelana says:

Love the idea of savory oatmeal. I might try mine with a poached egg!

5. tea_austen says:

Thanks for the mention. That version with the olives looks so good! Might have to try it myself:-)

6. Pingback: In My Prime Savory Oatmeal #1 from my 101 Goals in 1001 Days List

7. Patti says:

My favorite savory oatmeal is sharp cheddar and sun-dried tomatoes. I’ll have to try some of these… they look fabulous!

8. EmmaK says:

Wow! These all look so good. I have eaten oatmeal for breakfast for the last six years so it will be exciting for an oatmeal addict like myself to go savory. Thanks so much for joining in at the Weekend Rewind.

9. Pingback: Maple Macadamia Nut Butter and Back to School Oatmeal | | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

10. Savory oatmeal is my favorite lunch. Never thought about putting caramelized onions on it!! I usually make curry oats topped with spiced up ground turkey, tomato paste and avocado. Crackers and seeds are good on top too for some crunch.
    StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Gender Politics In Social Media: Pinterest v. GentlemintMy Profile

11. Omg I have to try the pesto oats!!!! I’ve never tried savory oats and this post is perfect! Thanks :)

12. BigUncleJohn says:

Your post was spot on and at exactly at the right time. I should like oatmeal, but I just don’t care for the uber-sweetness — fruit, maple syrup, brown sugar, and (ugh!) warm milk.
    When informed that I was adopting oatmeal as part of my “change or die” diet (no wheat, barley, or corn — wtf!) I had to find something that would make me look forward to oatmeal.
    Thank you. You have given me a place to start. I have made them all, the first and last are my favourites (even though the cheese is out of bounds, please don’t tattle).
    I looked at what you have, and thought that if it made a good pizza or omelet, then it should work. Most have. The Caprisi (basil, tomato, mozerella, and reduced balsamic splash); the Denver (ham, softened onion, green pepper, and mushroom); and Leftover Chicken (diced chicken (duh?), softened celery and onion, and salt-free chicken stock) have replaced the eggs benedict and omelets.
    An awesome idea.
    The best of it is that if you spend more than 30 minutes from starting breakfast to finished cleaning, you’re just futzing in the kitchen; shake a leg, you’ve got things to do!

I’m glad you liked them. I love your way of looking at coming up with recipes ideas based on pizzas and omelets! You’ve given me a lot of new ideas. Good luck with your new eating plan.

13. greekgirl says:

I love savory oatmeal recipes. I would never eat it sweetened, or drowned in milk. So good to know I’m not the only one who prefers savory over sweet.

14. Pingback: Too Lazy to Cook? « busandstops

15. Pingback: Less Timid, Less Squeamish: My Second Blogoversary | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

16. Pingback: What I Ate in Thailand | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish