5 Great Vegetarian Recipes

During my week of vegan eating in February, I felt great and learned a lot, but I had more than a couple boring meals. Since then, I have been eating vegetarian at least a day or two a week and eating less meat when I do eat other meals.

Hoping to expand my options, I built a week of vegetarian eating around trying some new recipes.

1. Baked Falafel with Tzatziki (from Peas & Crayons)

I love falafel and had never tried making it at home. This baked version was great, and the tzatziki was easy and delicious, too. I served them with pitas and a lot of toppings for dinner, and I had them over spinach in a salad for lunch the next day.

2. Spinach Cashew Cream Pasta (adapted from Oh She Glows)

This vegan recipe uses cashews instead of dairy for its delicious, nutritious creaminess. I make pasta sauce a lot, but I always make it very chunky on the stove top, cooking it for hours. I loved this technique of food processing the ingredients before cooking for a quick alternative. I didn’t have basil on hand, so I used some parsley and spinach.

3. Channa Masala (from Eat, Live, Run)

This spicy Indian chickpea dish was delicious, and I loved the easy-to-follow directions on the web site. I topped it with yogurt and served it with brown rice, broccoli, naan, and mango.

4. Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Quesadillas (from Food for Thought)

The combination of sweet potatoes, caramelized onions, and cheese in these quesadillas was very flavorful. I served them with chunky guacamole and brown rice.

5. The Green Monster (from Oh She Glows)

I have been wanting to try a Green Monster for a while. I combined spinach with almond milk, lemon yogurt, banana, mango, and a little peanut butter. There is a whole “Green Monster Movement” where people post their variation of this smoothie. I kept thinking of an old joke from Cheers — “You can really taste the kale!” — even though it was spinach and wasn’t very noticeable. I thought it made a refreshing snack. My son was not very enthusiastic, but he did manage to smile in this one photo. [You can see an outtake of his natural reaction here.]

I loved the variety of these easy and delicious recipes and will be adding them to my family menus.

You may also like:

#43. 101 things in 1001 days. Try at least five new recipes while eating vegetarian for a week.

What are your favorite vegetarian recipes?

This entry was posted in 101 Things, Food and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to 5 Great Vegetarian Recipes

1. Anne says:

Stopping over from the SITS 31 DBBB challenge. :) I’m veg and I’m always looking for new recipes. I thought I had seen them all, but oh MAN – I want to try all of those! The cashew pasta and caramelized onion quesadillas sound AMAZING. Bookmarking this to try all of them later. :)

2. Suzy says:

I’m a meat lover and these recipes look delicious! Not sure about the green monster though. =)

Glad your son gave it a try and even a smile.

Great post. Thanks for visiting my blog.

3. Laura says:

I’m always on the lookout for great vegetarian recipes. The baked falafel looks awesome! Thanks for sharing these!

4. Allison says:

Yum! Bookmarking this list!

5. Tammy says:

Stopping over from SITS. These recipes look yummy! I’ve already printed one and bookmarked two….and added another blog to my favs. :) I’m not a vegetarian, but we do tend to eat a few vegetarian meals a week. It’s good for you. Great job on your post.

6. Dana says:

I’m so glad you liked the Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Quesadillas! Everything on this lost looks great… I’ll have to try these other recipes out, too!

7. Girl you’re a cooking machine! <3 Everything looks absolutely drool-worthy — you picked some baller stuff to try and made it look ah-mazing! Such an awesome WIAW and post about your vegan eats for the week! I love it!!!!

8. I LOVE Falafel! These recipes look awesome! Can’t wait to hear how they taste! :P

9. Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice says:

Love the green monster! I also love how Oh She Glows has brought that to the bloggie world :)

Food looks delish!

10. Those all look soooo good!! Oh my gosh, thank you for posting these!

11. Marcy, great recipes! Love the spinach cashew cream pasta and the green monster! I know my kids would love anything named the green monster, I’ll have to try that soon! Thanks again for linking up with Healthy 2day Wednesdays! Hope you’re learning new things from the other posts as well! See you this Wednesday!

12. Whitney W. says:

Also over here from SITS. All that food looks DELICIOUS. Definitely going to try that sweet potato recipe and cashew recipe. YUM.

13. cooking blog says:

Marcy, it’s really great and colorful recipes, love all the way you cook and present it.

14. Pingback: The Connecticut Hot Dog Tour | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

15. Helena says:

Hi! Found your blog on the SITS forum – I really liked your elevator pitch!
    I’m going to try the tomato basil pasta, it is a great option for gluten free/casein free diet as well. Thanks!!

16. I will be trying the sweet-potato and caramelized onion quesadillas Yum!
    I have started freezer cooking to have meals on hand. However instead of setting aside extra time to do so. I just cook up a double or triple batch of something. Then freeze for quick meals when needed. Works great. I have learned I can make freezer burritos out of many things…
    Bonnie @Passport To Frugal recently posted..Phase Three of Helping Joplin Post May 22 TornadoMy Profile

17. You’ve got great insights about delicious vegetarian recipes, keep up the good work!

18. Pingback: If You Give a Mom a Blog | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

19. Pingback: Maple Grilled Eggplant Goat Cheese Tarts: A Daring Cooks Challenge | | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

20. Pingback: Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce, a Cooking Video | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

21. Pingback: What I Ate in Costa Rica | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

22. Pingback: Pork Carnitas: Meatlovers, Prepare to Swoon (MultiMEDIA Splice #1, a new link party) | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish