A noob* gets pwned* (*see glossary)
My two sons and husband were amazed I could even die so early and thought I should get an achieve* just for doing so at level 1. I couldn’t help it. I was totally OPed* by the mob* that I attacked. It was my first time trying an MMORPG*, and my first PvE* went horribly wrong. But at least I got a green* a little bit later.
Let me back up a bit. I agreed to try World of Warcraft for two hours to complete a task on my 101 things list. The timing could have been better, as my two teenage boys had picked up the habit of talking about WoW in esoteric jargon at all hours of the day and night to the point of my taking it to Facebook in exasperation.
I hereby introduce you to a female Troll Warrior named MartyrSauce of the Quel’dore realm.
My two hours didn’t go well. My son David sat beside me to help. He really tried his hardest to be patient, but his instructions were littered with statements like these:
- No, Mom, that’s a cactus.
- Mom, there’s a way up the hill.
- No, Mom, you need to go through the door.
- Mom, she’s in the way.
- You’re invincible, Mom, which is a good thing.
- Mom, you’re still fighting.
I’m afraid to say that it wasn’t a very fun experience for either me or my son, who periodically grabbed the mouse from me and starting clicking away in frustration. I ended up reaching level 6. My son had thought I would be able to get to level 15 in the time frame.
In my defense, Pac-Man never made me drop totems while in combat with scorpions to collect their venom.
- noob – newbie; someone inexperienced in the game, often stupidly so
- pwned – defeated; “owned”
- achieve – achievement; one of the many, many shortened words
- OPed – overpowered
- mob – short for mobile; enemy
- MMORPG – massively multiplayer online role-playing game
- PvE – player versus environment
- green – an item with stats, or that gives extra bonuses; their names are green in the game
#101. 101 things in 1001 days. Complete a video game challenge set by my kids.
Do you and your kids like any of the same video games? Kids, are your parents noobs?