A noob gets pwned: Giving World of Warcraft a try at my children’s insistence

A noob* gets pwned*    (*see glossary)

My two sons and husband were amazed I could even die so early and thought I should get an achieve* just for doing so at level 1. I couldn’t help it. I was totally OPed* by the mob* that I attacked. It was my first time trying an MMORPG*, and my first PvE* went horribly wrong. But at least I got a green* a little bit later.

Let me back up a bit. I agreed to try World of Warcraft for two hours to complete a task on my 101 things list. The timing could have been better, as my two teenage boys had picked up the habit of talking about WoW in esoteric jargon at all hours of the day and night to the point of my taking it to Facebook in exasperation.

I hereby introduce you to a female Troll Warrior named MartyrSauce of the Quel’dore realm.

My two hours didn’t go well. My son David sat beside me to help. He really tried his hardest to be patient, but his instructions were littered with statements like these:

• No, Mom, that’s a cactus.
  • Mom, there’s a way up the hill.
  • No, Mom, you need to go through the door.
  • Mom, she’s in the way.
  • You’re invincible, Mom, which is a good thing.
  • Mom, you’re still fighting.

My ghost managed to return to my body and resurrect myself.

“Not enough rage?” I don’t think so.

Here, MartyrSauce rides a raptor named Swiftclaw.

I’m afraid to say that it wasn’t a very fun experience for either me or my son, who periodically grabbed the mouse from me and starting clicking away in frustration. I ended up reaching level 6. My son had thought I would be able to get to level 15 in the time frame.

In my defense, Pac-Man never made me drop totems while in combat with scorpions to collect their venom.

Glossary

• noob – newbie; someone inexperienced in the game, often stupidly so
  • pwned – defeated; “owned”
  • achieve – achievement; one of the many, many shortened words
  • OPed – overpowered
  • mob – short for mobile; enemy
  • MMORPG – massively multiplayer online role-playing game
  • PvE – player versus environment
  • green – an item with stats, or that gives extra bonuses; their names are green in the game

101 things in 1001 days #101. 101 things in 1001 days. Complete a video game challenge set by my kids.

Do you and your kids like any of the same video games? Kids, are your parents noobs?

This entry was posted in 101 Things and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to A noob gets pwned: Giving World of Warcraft a try at my children’s insistence

1. LOL! That’s awesome! I bet it was super fun though! :D
    Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..Monday ShmondayMy Profile

2. sammy says:

LOL Marcy – you are a brave brave women. My boys and hubby play dungeons and always ask me if i want to play – I honestly could think of nothing worse … now it they wanted to play Tetris against me … BRING IT ON.
    sammy recently posted..Meatless Monday (just a couple of days late)My Profile

3. Sheila says:

LOL This is great! I can’t imagine either one of my parents playing this kind of video game. But a few years ago we did play a video game together: Hangaroo. That’s it.
    Sheila recently posted..CNA TrainingMy Profile

4. sammy says:

Just wanted to let you know I’ve passed on the Leibster blog award to you. Details on my blog. xx Sammy

5. As I read your post I realized how screwed I am if I have boys. Video games and I have never understood each other; you’re one awesome mama!
    Ashley@BakerbyNature recently posted..Bourbon and Brown Sugar Barbecue SauceMy Profile

6. cardiogirl says:

Oy, I am almost illiterate when it comes to these types of games. We did buy a Wii for Christmas last year so that’s what I have to pull from.

While I hate dancing I do enjoy Just Dance and I have to hold myself back from dominating the board. My kids (all girls) are 11, 8 and 6 and while their coordination is pretty good I could still beat them. Every. Single. Time.

But I hold back in an effort to be a good mother. And just knowing I could wipe the floor with them if I wanted to is enough to help me contain my competitive spirit.
    cardiogirl recently posted..Grammar Tips: 12 Confusing Word PairsMy Profile

lol. My boys can beat me in Dance Central, even though they don’t even want to do it. I am hopelessly without rhythm apparently. I knock them out in boxing all the time though!

7. Pingback: My boys manage to feed themselves while I go to the US Open | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

8. Daniel says:

This is Marcy’s son and she was lying about always winning in boxing. She wins one out of every five

9. Max Light says:

“A noob gets pwned”
    that is completely awesome

10. tinsenpup says:

I stay right away from computer games of all sorts. I won’t even have them on my phone. If that were me, I wouldn’t have fared any better than you, but would still be playing. It’s a sickness…
    tinsenpup recently posted..{this moment} – Probably Not MutualMy Profile

I’ve gone through some games that I got really hooked on–Tetris, Bejeweled Blitz. I had to quit cold turkey. I’ve never had the patience for long, involved games, though. I would rather do other things with my time. (Plus, I stink at them!)

11. Pingback: Carnival of Video Game Bloggers, November 2011 | Gaming My Way

12. Garret says:

Great post. I’ve been a gamer since I was very young and I feel like this is exactly how it would go if I brought my mother into something like WOW. Kudos for getting in there anyway

Maybe your mom should try it? If she does, let me know how it goes. My sons are really into gaming. I am going to show them your site. Thanks for visiting!

13. Pingback: Year in Review: Looking Back, Looking Forward(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

14. Pingback: If You Give a Mom a Blog | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

15. May says:

Having teens myself I was able to decipher some of your strange new language but not all. It is like traveling to a foreign land.
    May recently posted..CreativityMy Profile

16. Patty says:

My kids are older…adults…or so they think. My son plays those horrific combat games which do not interest me but…I am proud to say that I’m currently wreaking havoc with one of my daughters in Words With Friends.

I am a force to be reckoned with. Does that make me a “mob”?

lolol
    Patty recently posted..The difference between…My Profile

17. Katie says:

*sigh* I know this language all too well. My hubby plays video games, and while he doesn’t play WoW, he plays nearly everything else. He offers to let me play from time to time. But my video game playing days are over. They ended with Mario and Luigi and Zelda and 8-bit games. Ha!
    Katie recently posted..Falling In and Out of LoveMy Profile

18. Pingback: A Christmas Quest: Solve the Riddles to Find Your Present | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

19. Pingback: Scheduling a Cow | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

20. My husband got me hooked on WoW back during the “classic” days. He often got impatient with me, too, when I was a noob. I stopped playing when the “Mists of Pandaria” expansion came out, but I did finally level my Night Elf druid to 80.
    /wave
    that cynking feeling recently posted..A walking disasterMy Profile

21. Pingback: COMPLETED: 101 Things in 1001 Days | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

22. This is funny! Especially your kids’ instructions to you. I grew up during the era of 2-dimensional video games, so the 3-d stuff really throws me for a look. NOTHING makes me feel older than playing newer video games.
    Natalie – The Cat Lady Sings recently posted..Just Say NoMy Profile

23. I was really into a MUD in the 90′s. I can’t even start up again…I’ll fall into the void.
    That Unique* Weblog recently posted..Winning for GoodMy Profile

I’m back from reading all about MUDs–interesting. I’ve never gotten into a game like that. If I’m trying out a video game, I am good for about 2 minutes of attention and then I start wishing I could be doing something else.

24. tedstrutz says: