October Surprise: A cold “staycation” without power

A freak October storm brought down a massive number of trees and branches on Saturday, and over 800,000 Connecticut households lost power, including mine. As I heard mentioned over and over on the AM radio station that was my only source of news, the damage from Storm Alfred was much worse than that of Hurricane Irene, just two months ago. Having the leaves still on the trees was part of the problem. And this time it was cold, of course. My house dropped down to about 40 degrees F.

I quickly completed an item on my 101 list, making a fire in the fireplace.

I kept my walking streak alive, too, checking out the neighborhood to the tune of chainsaws, wood chippers, and generators. Many trees and limbs were down, with tangled lines everywhere.

We cleared the fallen branches from our yard, and I stacked many, many small logs for firewood.

Let’s hope I don’t have to use it all next year.

We’ve all had school closed all week, so we will most assuredly lose a vacation over this. Still, we’re luckier than many. We didn’t have any major damage, and we were able to stay in our home, dragging mattresses down to the basement and piling up the blankets. The boys did well; it would have been much more difficult to worry about small children.

I know it’s a cliche to say so, but going five days without power during the cold really helps you to appreciate the little things:

• a hot shower
  • a warm place to sit
  • light after sunset
  • an Internet connection
  • and of course, family and friends (Thanks so much, everyone, for your generosity!)

#87: 101 things in 1001 days. Make a fire in the fireplace.

This entry was posted in 101 Things, Connecticut and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to October Surprise: A cold “staycation” without power

1. Came over from BlogHer a few days back and started following!

I have to agree, being without truly makes one appreciate the things we have. Glad there was no major damage for you. So, now that you’ve made a fire in your fireplace, do you think you’ll make anymore?
    TortugaRachel recently posted..NaBloPoMoMy Profile

I did like the fires, but I’m fine with using the house’s heating for a while! We certainly have enough wood for it, though. Thanks for following.

2. So glad ya’ll didn’t have any major damage 🙂 We were lucking when our power went out for a week in April (tornadoes) that it was at least nice outside. Not cold, or even more dreaded, HOT! I bet that fire was super cozy! Great job on walking too!
    Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..Captain TalleyMy Profile

3. Tessa says:

Happiness definitely is getting power back on!! We got hit hard with Irene but barely noticed this most recent bought of weather. I’m a bit further north than you are though, up in VT. Good job crossing something off your list though. Way to stay positive! 🙂

Stopping by from Becky’s Happiness Is… blog hop.
    Tessa recently posted..Cocktails & Crafts – round 2My Profile

I only lost power from Irene for about a day and a half. It was so much easier, though, without having to deal with the cold!

4. I know so many friends in CT who only got power back today!! I’m so glad that you fared okay, and that you were able to keep a positive attitude throughout it all. I can only imagine what this winter holds: it’s certainly off to a dramatic start!

Thank you for sharing this with us at Rub Some Dirt On It!
    Becky @ Rub Some Dirt On It recently posted..ExorcismMy Profile

5. sammy says:

Wow!! I’m so glad you are all ok.
    sammy recently posted..MIA!!My Profile

6. Pingback: Too much time on my hands | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

7. May says:

There is a brief window of opportunity when you are without power enough to be inconvenienced but not unsafe, that is actually a blessing. You slow down and reassess. You do feel grateful for things you normally don’t give a second thought. Freed from the stuff of electrical power there is time to think and visit.
    May recently posted..The Girl with the Teddy Bear on LaneMy Profile

8. Katie says:

Glad there wasn’t too much damage! I remember hearing about that freak October snow storm in the news. I’m sure you guys weren’t quite ready for that winter slap.
    Katie recently posted..Where You’re GoingMy Profile

9. Pingback: Apocalypse Soon: I Became a Zombie at the Doomsday Fair | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish