One-finger handstand

My son Daniel had a fun idea for a photograph at Four Corners, USA when we visited in 2007: a one-finger handstand.

Four Corners–the spot where Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah meet–is a cool place to visit. (There’s a picture of the spot in my blog’s header above.) It pains me a little to admit the secret of this shot, but here goes.

• I took two pictures: One of my one son being held up by my husband and me and one of the same view without any people.
  • Then, I used Photoshop to layer the two images, with the empty background shot on the bottom layer.
  • I had to align the shots and rotate one of the images. (Using a tripod would have been better, of course. My other son was quickly snapping away while people waited for their turn.)
  • I next removed all traces of my husband and me from the shot in the top layer.
  • I had to rebuild parts of Daniel’s legs a little where we had been holding him using the cloning tool, as well as part of an arm.

one-finger handstand

So, the secret is out.

Thanks to Neatorama for featuring this post!

Some other posts you may like:

This entry was posted in Photography Challenge and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to One-finger handstand

1. mary says:

what a fun photo! we were at four corners last spring and I’m amazed you could get a shot without any people around! like my husband says, “thanks to photoshop nothing is real” but it sure is fun is always my reply!

We made it there only a few minutes before closing, and there were still quite a few people around. It was fun to see the goofy poses everyone was doing. Thanks for visiting.

2. Ashley Sisk says:

LOL that is awesome – absolutely love it!

3. Buckeroomama says:

That is SOOO cool! I don’t think I have the patience to do the editing part, though. :)
    Buckeroomama recently posted..Scavenger Hunt Sunday | Mainly One ColorMy Profile

4. Nicely done! Love it!
    TortugaRachel recently posted..Another ExcerptMy Profile

5. That’s awesome!! That will be a great pic for him when he’s older too. Too cool! :D

6. Erica M says:

I’ve had Photoshop for more than a year. I must learn how to use it. Thanks for the mini-tutorial.
    Erica M recently posted..lovelinks #32 is open for votingMy Profile

7. Shannon says:

Ha! LOVE it!
    Shannon recently posted..INVISIBLE CHILDRENMy Profile

8. This is honestly way too cool! I am beyond impressed! I am so glad you found my linky party and decided to hang out with us. I am featuring this picture tomorrow morning at this week’s party!!! I hope you decide to make Oh Snap! a weekly party you participate in. I’d hate to miss out on what else you can do! :)

9. Breena says:

That is super cool! Love it! I’d love for you to link up your photo at my “Look Whooooo’s Snapping” photo linky party going on now at “Life at this Mommy knows It”.

Blessings to you,
    Breena
    mommyknowslife.blogspot.com
    Breena recently posted..Portraits of TWO familiesMy Profile

10. Pingback: Year in Review: Looking Back, Looking Forward(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

11. Cathy says:

Lol love it! You did a great job with the parts you needed to fix up!

12. Alea Milham says:

Love it! We are always looking for new ways to capture our travels. Thanks for sharing this fun idea with the Gallery of Favorites.
    Alea Milham recently posted..Gallery of Favorites 1/20My Profile

13. How cool is that? And how cool that you were able to achieve it! Love it!

Visiting via the Rewind.
    Life In A Pink Fibro recently posted..Words no parent wants to hear: "This could be highly dangerous…"My Profile

14. MultipleMum says:

What a fun spot to visit. Four states in one place. I totally tried to work out whether a one-finger handstand was even possible! Thanks for putting me out of my misery (I should have thought of photoshop!). Thanks for joining the Rewind again this week Marcy x
    MultipleMum recently posted..Weekend Rewind – Yellow editionMy Profile

15. I’m fascinated by how you did this photograph! And it’s so cool to see it all broken down like that. What a fun memory for your son – Four Corners looks like such a cool place to visit. Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites!
    April @ The 21st Century Housewife recently posted..The Hearth and Soul Hop with The 21st Century HousewifeMy Profile

16. Pingback: Less Timid, Less Squeamish: My Second Blogoversary | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

17. Handstand says:

Wow, you got me fool for a moment there. Awesome PS skills!