Love in a Mixtape

Love in a Mixtape

Back in 1988, we still looked up movie show times in newspapers, we still were shocked by the Iran-Contra affair on television, and we still made mixtapes on audio cassettes.

That summer, I worked part-time in a bank branch that was so slow I hardly ever had anything to do. I struck up a quick friendship with Randy, a young head teller who dressed snappily in ties with tie pins and was always clean-shaven. Yet I could tell there was something different about him. We would talk for hours, interrupted only by the occasional customer. I remember him talking about the universe expanding.

I was hooked.

Sometimes when the bank closed at 4 o’clock, we continued our conversation into the parking lot, standing at our cars until dark, never pausing to suggest we get a bite to eat or even sit down.

We were both devoted to rock music and endlessly discussed our favorite bands. Soon enough, we started a project. I made him a mixtape on an audio cassette with no labels. His job was to listen, write down the song titles he could figure out, and decipher a story from the words.

We exchanged back and forth like this a couple of times, sharing our favorites from our record collections. We put together stories of “40,000 Headmen” and other adventures.

Right before I was to leave on a trip with my parents, Randy asked me out to dinner. Away from the bank, our easy, never-ending conversation dried up into awkward pauses as we struggled for something to say. I convinced myself it wasn’t a date and went on my trip. When I got back, he handed me a new mixtape.

That night, I sat on my bed with a pencil and paper and popped in the tape. The sound of an organ and guitar filled my bedroom.

Next up was another easily recognized song.

Then, another Clapton song.

• Take a Chance — Eric Clapton

So, the story so far is that someone’s missing someone, is feeling like a fool, but is gonna take a chance.

• Suite: Judy Blue Eyes — Crosby, Stills & Nash

Hmm … blue eyes….

I kept listening.

Clearly, a theme of love was developing.

It continued.

I next heard guitar and the words, “Shadows grow so long before my eyes….”

The last song was one of my favorites. “I can hear her heart beat from a thousand miles. Yeah, the heavens open every time she smiles….”

I read the list over and over, trying to interpret it, telling myself it didn’t mean what I thought it meant.

The next day in the bank, we went through the morning routine. We were actually busy and didn’t get a chance to talk until a mid-morning break.

I made small talk. He brought up the tape.

“Did you listen to the mixtape?” he asked.

“Yes … it was good,” I said.

“Did you figure out the message?”

“I wasn’t sure,” I said. This went on for a while, with him asking me leading questions that I was afraid to answer.

We finally established that it was a love story, from someone to someone who had gone away on a trip.

He asked about “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes.”

I said that I didn’t know how that one fit in with the others.

“Well, do you know anyone with blue eyes?”

I paused, a long pause. I looked down. I looked to the side. He waited.

“Yes.”

“Who?”

I wasn’t sure what to say.

I took the leap.

“Me,” I whispered.

He smiled.

We were married two years later.

…–

Gallery of Favorites | Write on Edge | Mama Kat’s Writer’s WorkshopLove Story Link Party

(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

This entry was posted in Music, Scene from a Memoir and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Love in a Mixtape

1. Oh how awesome is that?!

What a neat way to formally ask you out. I have to admit I would have been like you had it been me in your shoes. So, did you secretly hope it was you but were unwilling to admit to yourself it was a possibility?
    TortugaRachel recently posted..Just sayin’, yo!My Profile

2. Of COURSE he wasn’t shaving yet – you guys look like you’re both about 14 years old in that wedding picture.

Wonderful story, wonderful mix. Very glad that creepy Police stalker song didn’t make the cut. Why people think it’s romantic beats me. Even Sting says it was MEANT to be creepy.

Although I’ve made many mix tapes (and later, CD’s), I don’t have a happy love story about one. I did make a great, don’t let the doorknob hit you in the ass breakup mix, including Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way,” Night Ranger’s “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me,” and Dokken’s “Just Walk Away.” Which, sadly, I’ve had to call upon more than once.
    Beverly Diehl recently posted..Bad Kissing 101 – Have You Taken This Class?My Profile

Yeah, if “Every Breath You Take” showed up on the tape, I would have taken that as a red flag! lol. Love your mixtape idea about the doorknob! Now that would make a great post–I bet you have some great stories to tell.

3. Aw, what a beautiful story! I loved it so much I made my husband read it!!! :)
    idiosyncraticeye recently posted..HairMy Profile

4. Angie says:

Remember when dating to work? I absolutely loved this post. Visiting from weekend linkup.

5. The M Half says:

*swoon!* Man, that’s a keeper!
    The M Half recently posted..Fiction Friday: TressesMy Profile

6. Style Maniac says:

How completely enchanting. I love this love story! Especially the ending.

When I mix a playlist I also listen to all the lyrics and create a story — not so deeply as your guy did here, but it does make a difference in how the songs flow together.

7. sammy says:

SOOOOOO Gorgeous!!! This is one of the mosstories I’ve heard … I’m sure there is am movie in there somewhere! You guys just look so incredibly young when you were married – how old were you?!
    sammy recently posted..Drugs or a body ….My Profile

8. Rahmath says:

OMG, its so sweet.. this is the sweetest love story i have heard in such a long time.Thanks for sharing this…So sweet…….What a wonderful way to declare ones love….

9. Jennifer says:

That was one of the most romantic and touching personal love stories I have ever read. Really cool! I even went “Awwwwww” at the end.
    Jennifer recently posted..Merging PoemsMy Profile

10. LOVE! What a beautiful bride you are too! So precious :D
    Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..Lasagna As SoupMy Profile

11. Jennifer says:

This addition to your memoir is fantastic! What a beautiful love story. I love to hear about true love growing out of friendship. Just WOW Marcy!
    Jennifer recently posted..Homeschool Mother’s Journal {December 2}My Profile

12. Marcy says:

Thanks so much for the kind words!
    Marcy recently posted..Fes Medina, Morocco videoMy Profile

13. What a lovely, lovely post! What a lot of love and care went into that mix tape and what a wonderful love story! Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites.
    April @ The 21st Century Housewife recently posted..Let’s Do BrunchMy Profile

14. Shannon says:

Oh…my…GOSH! That is the sweetest thing EVER! I was expecting when you got back there was a mix tape with every break-up song known to man. How CUTE you two were (are). :)
    Shannon recently posted..{this moment}My Profile

15. totsymae1011 says:

Beautiful story. I was anticipating ‘Is this guy gonna end up marrying her?’ Now, he put in some time making that tape. You couldn’t not fall for him. :-)

16. Carol Apple says:

What a sweet how-we-met story. So rich with romance, so…so..1980s! And you were both so cute too! I like your linkup project. I will think about it today while Christmas shopping and see if I can come up with a scene or two from a memoir I haven’t written yet. I do need some structure and inspiration for my blog.
    Carol Apple recently posted..Angels in art – The Bible vs cultural traditionMy Profile

17. Pingback: Year in Review: Looking Back, Looking Forward(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

18. Kelly says:

I LOVE this. What a sweet, romantic way of getting your point across.

Music has always been huge to me. The first Christmas that we were together, I gave my husband-to-be a CD of mixed music and at our wedding we gave out a CD compiled of our favourite songs.

19. May says:

He gave you a love sonnet on a mixed tape. I love that!
    May recently posted..Valentine’s KissMy Profile

20. Frelle says:

I love the way you wrote this, I could see it happening, I love that you bonded over music and he told you a story with the titles..and you were right… and you got the happily ever after!! :)

21. Annabelle says:

That’s pretty creative! I never paid enough attention to pop music to make mix tapes back then, but it’s amazing how much creativity and meaning can really go into one made by someone paying attention.
    Annabelle recently posted..Lessons For a SaturdayMy Profile

22. Samantha says:

We were a little bit past the Mix Tape era BUT I loved giving my boyfriend mix-CDs! Just as fun! Beautiful!

23. Katie says:

I literally felt like squealing after I got to that last line. This was so unbelievably romantic. What a sweetheart and what an awesome love story. This has been one of my favorites from The Lightning and the Lightning Bug linkup. Thanks for sharing and for making me feel like a giggly school girl on this early Sunday morning :)

24. Thank you so much for linking up to the Love Story Link Party. What a sweet way to be asked out! I loved your story. Thank you for sharing!
    Christine Trevino recently posted..Love Story Link PartyMy Profile

25. Pingback: In the days of my youth ... Listening to Led Zeppelin(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

26. Pingback: 47 Years of Great Rock: The History of Rock in a Song a Year(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

27. So incredibly beautiful!
    tracy@sellabitmum recently posted..When I Was YoungerMy Profile

28. Jamie says:

What a romantic story! I love that the conversation was awkward on your first date, yet he still made you that loving mix. What a great guy.

Visiting from Mama Kats!
    Jamie recently posted..Bad TeacherMy Profile

29. Amy says:

OMG! This is one of the best ever stories I’ve ever read. I love this. I’m going to share it lol. Stopping in from Mama Kats.

30. Daniel Nest says:

This is mega touching. And now I feel bad for never having made a complex mix tape of my own!
    Daniel Nest recently posted..Two eighty-sixMy Profile

31. Tomekha says:

Awwwwwwwww!!!! That is so cute and romantic! :)
    Tomekha recently posted..Free Up Abortion!My Profile

32. Karen says:

Marcy, this is the best story. I love when I read something heart-warming and happy first thing in the morning. So romantic.
    Karen recently posted..Fifty Is the New ThirtyMy Profile

33. Jack says:

That is a very cool story. I remember making those mixes. It was a lot more time consuming then. Now you can burn a CD in no time, not trying to diminish the mixes people make today but on cassette you had a time commitment.

Lovely story.
    Jack recently posted..Of Dads and DaughtersMy Profile

34. What an absolutely adorable love story! I adore hearing sweet declarations of love like that. :) You found a keeper!
    Natalie – The Cat Lady Sings recently posted..Saving the World, One Poem at a TimeMy Profile

35. Ooh, I was so anxious reading this, not sure how you would respond to the mix tape. Saying “I do” seems like an adequate response. ;)
    that cynking feeling recently posted..“I am full”My Profile

36. Robbie says:

This was not at all what I was expecting….loved it!
    Robbie recently posted..One minuteMy Profile

37. C.C. says:

This is such a beautiful, happy story. Thank you for sharing it so well.

38. The naivete and the innocence comes through in your story …there really is nothing like a young Romeo and Juliet discovering love…
    Jacqueline Casey recently posted..Trifextra: “Chain-smoker”My Profile

39. Pingback: The Voice in My Head is Now Set to Music: My Theme Song | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

40. Pingback: The Most Metamorphic Six-Year Stretch in Rock | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish