Homemade corn tortillas (and tamales too): Masa harina two ways

“If at first you don’t succeed, and you happened to have accidentally ordered fours times the amount of masa harina that you meant to while clicking away on the Internet, try, try again.”

#DPSFOOD

Homemade Corn Tortillas

My first attempt at making homemade corn tortillas was an inedible mess, but like I referred to in the quote above, I have a lot of masa harina on my hands. In my enthusiasm for trying to make homemade corn tortillas, I also impulsively ordered a tortilla press, so I would have never lived it down if these things went the way of some other impulsive purchases I’ve made over the years and never used: a mandoline, a huge bottle of fish sauce, a jar of some sort of vegetable paste, and a big bag of bulgur, to name a few.

Masa harina is a whole grain corn flour (not corn meal), so it was perfect timing to give it another try since the focus of Healthy Every Week this week was to eat more whole grains.

They were so worth the perseverance! Homemade corn tortillas are incredibly delicious and not that hard after all once I paid attention to a couple of tips.

Tips for making homemade tortillas (that I neglected to follow on my first attempt):

• Let the mixture rest after first stirring it together.
  • Knead the dough like bread dough for a few minutes before forming the balls.
  • Use the recommended wax paper to make it easy to transfer them to the pan.

I served the tortillas with guacamole, refried beans, and salad.

I also made tamales for the first time. I read a few different recipes to learn the method, and then I worked with ingredients I had on hand to come up with this vegetarian recipe.

Sweet Potato Black Bean Tamales

• 1 sweet potato, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 small green chilies, diced
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups black beans
  • 1 cup tomatoes, diced
  • 1 cup vegetable stock (or water)
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or chili powder)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon group coriander
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded

Cook sweet potato, peppers, onion, corn, and garlic until softened. Stir in the other ingredients through salt and pepper, and simmer about 20 minutes until thickened. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice.

Prepare the masa harina. (I followed the same directions for making the tortillas, linked above.)

To make the tamales: Arrange a flattened ball of dough on a softened corn husk. Sprinkle on some shredded cheddar cheese. Spoon some of the sweet potato mixture on top, and wrap up the tamale. Steam the tamales for about an hour.

I served the tamales with fresh guacamole and salad. They were really delicious too.

Now, what to do with that vegetable paste and big bag of bulgur?

P.S. I love this old blues song and think of it just about every time someone says “tamales”: Robert Johnson’s They’re Red Hot.

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Homemade corn tortillas (and tamales too): Masa harina two ways

1. Rebecca Jean says:

What a lovely looking meal! We tried making our own tortillas once, it didn’t go nearly as well as yours. Which look delicious by the way. I still have some Masa left so we will have to try, try again.

Thanks for sharing this with Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.

♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac
    Rebecca Jean recently posted..Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays {No.62}My Profile

2. Alicia says:

Those look delicious! If you need any taste-testers, I’ll be happy to help you out!

3. sammy says:

These look amazing …. nothing better than hot bready things!!! Very impressed with the tamales. You could make a big big big batch of tabbouleh with that bag of bulgar. YUM.
    sammy recently posted..New 2 You Cross Training – January ChallengeMy Profile

4. This looks like such a wonderful feast! Both your corn tortillas and tamales look so delicious. And I must confess, I have a few impulsive purchases of my own stashed away in my cupboards as well! Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.
    April @ The 21st Century Housewife recently posted..The Hearth and Soul Hop with The 21st Century HousewifeMy Profile

5. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

Share your great fermented food recipes at my Probiotic Food Linky – open through Februray 6, 2012.

6. Sarah says:

This looks delicious, I love homemade corn tortillas!

I’m hosting a blog hop on my blog, Raising Isabella, and I’d love for you to come share!

Hope to see you there!
    Sarah
    Sarah recently posted..Make-ahead Monday #3My Profile

7. Oh man! I’m coming up for leftovers! YUMMY! :P
    Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..Potato FishMy Profile

8. I’m impressed! I’ve always wanted to make both my own tortillas and tamales – but I admit to being a little intimidated. I consider myself a pretty decent home chef but these are two dishes that have gotten the best of me. Your approach makes it look really accessible – maybe I’ll get a pair and make some.
    Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty recently posted..Leeky Pear Mushroom ToastsMy Profile

9. Pingback: Healthy Every Week Challenge: Eat More Whole-Grains Wrap Up | Healthy Eats – Food Network Healthy Living Blog

10. Pingback: Healthy Every Week Challenge: Eat More Whole-Grains Wrap Up - Eating Healthy To Lose Weight

11. Pingback: Healthy Every Week Challenge: Eat More Whole-Grains Wrap Up » How To Make Healthy Food

12. Hello! If you haven’t noticed already I featured you on Savory Sunday this week. Have a good one, and thanks for sharing!

13. Mely says:

Hello,

I saw your post at Zesty South Indian Blog Hop and could resist to ask you if you add any kind of fat to the tamales dough.

By the way great job with the tortillas.

Mely

14. Pingback: 5 Great Vegetarian Recipes | | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

15. permafrost says:

if you still have the bulgur: I soak some bulgur in an equal volume of water for about an hour and use it in chili as a substitute for ground meat. I’ll saute the vegetables (onion, garlic, peppers, etc.), add the tomatoes/tomato paste, beans, spices and water first, rather than sauteing the bulgur like you would with beef, because the bulgur will stick to the pan! It’s delicious and you don’t miss the meat at all!

As for the vegetable paste: i don’t know, what’s in it??? maybe you could use it as a base for soups? dressings?

16. Pingback: Guess the Mystery Meal: A Ten Part Series (Part 1) | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

17. Pingback: Pork Carnitas: Meatlovers, Prepare to Swoon (MultiMEDIA Splice #1, a new link party) | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish