Today is my first blogoversary!
I started my blog on January 29, 2011 with a post about Salsa dancing. I had thought the hard part was to get my husband to go to a dance lesson with me, but hitting “Publish” proved to be much more scary! (I just published a Year in Review post last month, so I won’t repeat all of that here.)
Since then, I have grown to love blogging, and I have even felt the influence it’s been having on me in the “real world.” As I set out to be less “timid and squeamish” and tackle the items on my 101 things list, I have actually started to become less timid and squeamish. I catch myself saying in my mind “Don’t be too timid” when I consider whether to do something that makes me uncomfortable.
I am so grateful for the support of the wonderful bloggers and friends who visit and give feedback. Thank you!
I am also excited to be writing more, both in my posts and in the “Scene from a Memoir” series that I started.
Funny search terms
I try not to look at my stats too much (who am I kidding? I check them all the time), but I always get a kick out of the search terms that people have Googled to find my blog:
- peanut zombie
- squeamish vegan
- warcraft: the noobish action task archivation
- Marcy monster
- regular whisky drinking family
- man with 4 wheels cartoon
- drunken woman lettuce
- push up bad form (Does he know me?)
- led zeppelin waters
- how to eat oatmeal
- let’s face the venting
- are you a magnet
- avocado icecream with eggs
- zumba your mama she is loco
- blind woman petting tiger
- randy hotdog
- too timid to be a waitress
- don’t be too timid into the wild
- המדרגות של רוקי
I also like seeing which posts get the most action.
- My most popular post: Meatless bento (There’s not much to it; I’m not sure why it gets the most views.)
- My most commented on post: petting tigers in Thailand.
I am excited about the slow, but steady growth of my blog and the support I have received from other bloggers. Some great things from this first year of blogging:
- Completing 31 Days to Build a Better Blog with the SITS Girls
- Being nominated by Shape for a best blogger award as one of 20 Blogs that Keep Us Happy and Sane (I got crushed, but as they say, it was an honor just to be nominated.)
- Joining the BlogHer publishing network
- Participating in various blog hops. Some of my favorites: Happiness Is; Gallery of Favorites; Weekend Rewind; Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop; Scavenger Hunt Sunday; Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays; Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways. I love the way they expose me to new blogs and new challenges.
- Completing challenges on my 101 things list. This list gave me so many fun challenges to complete and write about, but I am a bit worried I burned through the most interesting items and will be left with all the boring tasks. I need some new ideas for fun challenges to complete it 2012.
By the way, have you heard of Fiverr? You can get people to do all sorts of things for $5; for example, someone will sing a song of your choice while dancing in a hot dog costume or have their two Boston terriers model your product. That’s how I got the artwork featured in this post.
Maybe I got a little carried away. As a gift to myself on my blog anniversary, I got myself drawn as a zombie, too.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I gotta go check my stats again … and eat some brains.