This Daring Cooks challenge hosted by Twenty-Fingered Cooking asked cooks to create a recipe that includes an ingredient from each list.
List 1 (The Vegetable List): Parsnips, Eggplant (aubergine), Cauliflower
List 2 (The “Strong Flavor” List): Balsamic Vinegar, Goat Cheese, Chipotle peppers
List 3 (The Weird List): Maple Syrup, Instant Coffee, Bananas
Being a sometime over-achiever, I included two things from list 2.
Maple Grilled Eggplant Goat Cheese Tarts
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T maple syrup
- pinch salt
- 1/2 large eggplant, sliced the long way
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 pie crust pastry
- 1 T Parmesan cheese
- 4 T goat cheese
- 1 t rosemary leaves
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, and salt. Brush over the eggplant slices.
- Grill the eggplant over medium heat, about six minutes on each side.
- Saute the onions until tender.
- Cut out four circles of pastry, and assemble the tarts. On each tart, include a quarter of the Parmesan cheese, sauteed onions, eggplant, goat cheese, and rosemary.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
The assembled tarts before baking:
The finished tarts were delicious–the touch of sweetness from the maple syrup offset the tang of the balsamic and combined well with the creaminess of the eggplant and goat cheese.
My resident taster gave it his approval.
Over-achieving aside, I stand by my decision not to top the tarts off with instant coffee or bananas.
A few other recipes:
- Homemade corn tortillas
- Quesadilla casserole (and “Why we should all eat meatless on Mondays”)
- 5 vegetarian recipes