Apocalypse Soon: I Became a Zombie at the Doomsday Fair

Ah, autumn fairs in New England. The leaves are turning, the air is crisp, the zombies are searching for brains.

zombie makeover

We were at the Doomsday Fair, and the timing was eerie. Hurricane Sandy headed for Connecticut, and local news stations amped up the horror of an October storm one year after the “Storm of the Century” caused record-breaking power outages (and outrages)  across the state. It was a perfect storm to be afraid, very afraid.

Source: Ryan Hanrahan

Doomsday Fair

Doomsday FairAmid all the craziness was a serious purpose. The fair was organized by the New England Preparedness and Conservation Consortium, a “non-profit organization dedicated to conservation of our natural resources, sustainability of our natural environment, and to helping people learn to harness the strengths of our natural elements to become more self reliant.”

zombie makeover

Six things I learned about zombies

You can really learn a lot about zombies by walking a mile in their shoes. (Read about my zombie makeover.)

1. Zombies just want to have fun.

2. Zombies need a little TLC.

zombie makeover
{Featured in BuzzFeed’s 12 Worst Types of Kisses, a dubious achievement, at best}

3. Zombies enjoy a peaceful stroll along the Connecticut River. (The funniest part of my day was seeing the reactions of passersby who didn’t know about the fair.)

zombie makeover

4. Zombies should wear their seat belts.

zombie makeover

5. Even zombies need a friend.

zombie makeover

6. After a long day, zombies just want to relax on the couch with a glass of wine.

But they have to go down in their basements and check on the flashlights and the MREs.

zombie makeover

#DPSINCOMPLETE

Apocalypse Soon: I Became a Zombie at the Doomsday Fair at (Don’t Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

Finding the Funny Gallery of Favorites

This entry was posted in Connecticut, Et Cetera and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Apocalypse Soon: I Became a Zombie at the Doomsday Fair

1. Pingback: Zombie Makeover: A Behind the Scenes Look | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

2. mom2natkatcj says:

Yay, another CT blogger ;). I hope you fared as well as we did this year in this pre Halloween storm. Your boys look absolutely thrilled to have you trying to eat their brains, lol.

3. The Dose of Reality says:

Cracking up at your pictures!! They are awesome! Stopping by from SITS Halloween share! 🙂

4. Corinna says:

Looks like fun! Visiting from SITS Blogtober. Now following you!

5. Pingback: Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce, a Cooking Video | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

6. Anne Kimball says:

Hi Marcy, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from Finding the Funny.

Great make-up! I loved that you walked along the river in make-up. Too funny!

Anyway, thanks for the laugh. I hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

7. What a fun post! Your makeup was amazing. I was interested to learn more about NEPACC too.

8. You look so good as a zombie!

9. Tonya says:

Great costume!!

10. Pingback: Year in Review: 2012 | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

11. Oh my gosh, Marcy, these are terrifying! Zombies scare me, not gonna lie. But as long as it’s for a good cause… 😉
    Natalie – The Cat Lady Sings recently posted..Surprise Neighbors, Or Why I Love CampingMy Profile

12. Daniel Nest says:

This is great! Awesome pics, looks like you’ve had a blast.

I usually stick to shooting zombies in computer games, but now I’m tempted to dress up as one and show up like that for work on Monday. Nothing can go wrong with that, right?
    Daniel Nest recently posted..WTF Report: “Fart-wear”My Profile

13. Karen says:

Nice zombie photo essay. I especially liked the zombie with wine pic : )
    Karen recently posted..You Can Do Anything For Thirty SecondsMy Profile

14. Beth Teliho says:

I LOVE ZOMBIE COSTUMES! hee hee! You did such a great job…omgosh….your dead skin looks amazing (there’s a sentence I never thought I’d say)! I’m going to be a zombie this year and already had to dress up for a party last week and decided it’s my favorite costume I’ve ever done. Who knew rotting skin could be so fun? 🙂
    Great post, enjoyed it! I’m a fan of anyone who can dress up and have a ball with Halloween! 🙂
    Beth Teliho recently posted..How Many F#!@% Cats Do You Have?My Profile