Punked: The story behind my first postcard

Here’s the story behind my first Life’s Experiments postcard, a new project in which readers send in postcards to celebrate their courage in going out of their comfort zones. (See the postcard.)

My Tricky Teenage Son

Less than 24 hours after I published my very first blog post, I squealed with delight when I checked in and saw the notification.

“I got a comment!” I shouted to my family, who were all involved in their own electronic pursuits in our computer room. I had put something out into the world, and the world had replied back.

Only, the world hadn’t actually replied back. I was immediately suspicious, or as close as you can get to immediate suspicion after you have squealed with delight. The comment was from “Alan,” and it seemed too goody two-shoes to be true.

My son David’s middle name is Allen, and he met my gaze with a poker face.

“Did you send it?” I demanded.

After some denials, I learned that, yes, I had been punked by my older son.

So, almost two years later, it seems fitting that David made my first “Life’s Experiments” postcard. His lingering guilt over his trick combined with his feeling sorry for me as I came back empty-handed from the mailbox each day for a month got me my first postcard. Score!

I debated whether I could count it as my first postcard for this new project.

I decided that it’s for real, even if it’s from family. He definitely went out of his comfort zone when he agreed to knock on doors to canvass for the Democrats. I am very proud of him!

David, ready to get dropped off to canvass the streets for a cause

Whose postcard will be in my mailbox next? It could be yours! (Mailing directions)

Send me your postcard!
Your postcards (page)

This entry was posted in Life's Experiments. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Punked: The story behind my first postcard

1. Shannon says:

I totally want to send you a postcard, but I haven’t come up with anything postcard-worthy yet. Laziness on my part? Probably…

Good for your son on cavassing! We need all the help we can get! 🙂
    Shannon recently posted..{this moment} – CREPES WITH CREAM CHEESE FILLINGMy Profile

2. It’s so lovely that your son is supporting you like that! He sounds like a very thoughtful lad. And I agree, he is brave to canvas for a political party he believes in. I don’t know if I would have the courage to do that!
    April @ The 21st Century Housewife recently posted..The Gallery of Favorites
    The Pancake Edition
    My Profile

3. How wonderful that he is stepping out of his comfort zone for a cause that is important to him! I know that I would never have been able to do that when I was younger.

4. The Dose of Reality says:

GOOD FOR YOUR SON! I have to be honest and tell you that his “spam” comment made me laugh out loud! 🙂 Now I will begin the process of thinking of something that would take me out of my comfort zone, but not so far that I lost the ability to write my postcard! 😉 Stopping by from SITS Saturday Sharefest and so glad I did! 🙂

Thanks so much. I laugh about his trick now, but I was pretty deflated at the time. Good luck with getting out of your comfort zone! I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

5. Carli says:

It is so sweet that David is making sure his mom is taken care off. I need to go back and read more because I’m not sure exactly what you have going on with the postcards

It’s a new feature I am starting on Monday where I will publish readers’ postcards about how they have gone out of their comfort zones. But I have no readers’ postcards yet, so my son came to the rescue. Thanks for your interest!

6. I’m excited to read you are a teacher, blogger, and a writer. Me, too. Hope to visit your site from time to time when I’m not correcting papers, blogging, or writing my novels. Love the pictures. Here’s a post on our state graduation requirements. http://www.eaglesclawsanctuary.com/2012/10/27/writing-persuasive-emails/ What are the grad requirements for your students (and teenager son) ?

Connecticut has a test called the CAPT, but it is switching over to the Common Core standards, so things will be changing over the next several years. (I’m always trying to fit in correcting papers, too. There’s a big stack in my bag right now that I am avoiding successfully.)

7. Carol Apple says:

Love the postcard idea Marcy! Getting out of my comfort zone may mean having some postcards made with my artwork and sending one of them to you! Also, my two teenage sons frequently drag me out of my comfort zone, so I may be able to think of something to report related to them. Making chili for a cook-off at the office on Halloween is another one. I’m not really comfortable about cooking anything….

8. Randy says:

Knowing our son, this really is a big step for him — this is truly outside his natural comfort zone. Proud of him!

9. Pingback: Life's Experiments: Postcards from Outside Your Comfort Zone {#1} | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

10. Louise G. says:

What a fabulous project — and now you’ve got me thinking about what mine would be…. hmmm….

And congratulations to your son. He sounds amazing.

PS — your post at She Writes brought me here — thanks! I’ll be back.

11. Pingback: Less Timid, Less Squeamish: My Second Blogoversary | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

12. Pingback: Guess the Mystery Meal: A Ten Part Series (Part 1) | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish