Just Say Yes

As I secretly started my “Say yes to everything” day, I imagined scenes from the Jim Carrey movie Yes Man:

Learn Korean? Yes.
Get in a fight? Let’s go!
Ride a motorcycle? You bet.
Get a mail-order bride? Why not?

Instead, my day plodded along with nobody asking me to do much of anything:

Can I have $10? OK.
Can I get on your computer? Yep.
Could you put this in the recycling? Umm-hmmm.

Then I met my friend Joy for a walk. This was risky, I knew. Joy and I have been friends since we met at Tae Kwon Do lessons years ago, and we usually get together for something fitness related: hiking, walking, a few 5Ks together.

After my last 5K, the Rugged Maniac, I decided it was time to retire; I walk every day, but have never, ever liked running. Joy had been asking me recently to join her in a couple of 5Ks, and I had finally let her know that I had called it quits on the running.

I Know What’s Coming

And now, as we walk along a chilly linear trail, our talk turns to an upcoming event.

In my head, I plead: “Don’t ask it, Joy. I’ve already turned you down.”

“The Fitathlon looks really fun. No mud, no water. Just clean obstacles,” Joy says.

“Oh yeah?” I try to sound as uninterested as possible.

“It’s in April. You’ll need to get ready for hiking in Peru.” She knows I’m worried about the Inca Trail. She’s clever, this one.

“I know,” I mutter, staring straight ahead.

“What are you doing to get ready?”

“It’s not until August,” I say.

“You have to start getting ready! You’ll need a good six months.”

I know what’s coming. I’ll have to say yes. “Oh, I’ll get ready,” I assure her. “I’ll do some hiking and whatnot.”

“Do you want to do the Fitathlon with me?”

And there it is. Like Brett Favre and Michael Jordan before me, I’ll be coming out of retirement this one last time.

Failed attempts

Just like with my “Don’t complain about anything” challenge, this one took me several tries to complete. I failed on two different school days as I reflexively spat out about 15 no’s before I remembered to say yes:

Can I use my notes on the quiz? No.
Can I get a drink? Not now.
Can I go to the bathroom? You just got here late from lunch!

I guess I got off easy. For the last few days, my husband had been making random, weird requests. (Not like that, people.) The other day I was experimenting in the kitchen and made homemade caramel sauce (divine). I gleefully told him how good it was and that I had picked up cookies and cream ice cream. He complained that I should have gotten vanilla.

“Don’t worry, honey. It’s gonna be so good.”

“No, caramel has to have vanilla,” he said.

I reached Level Indignant in a flash. “Are you seriously complaining when we have ice cream and homemade caramel sauce?”

“Would you run out and get vanilla?” he said.

“I can’t believe you would expect me to–”

He couldn’t keep from laughing. “I was just testing if it was your ‘Say yes to everything’ day. You’re so easy.”

#3 Say yes to everything for a whole day #3 (101 Things in 1001 Days): Say yes to everything for a whole day.

Related posts:

101 things button

This entry was posted in 101 Things and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Just Say Yes

1. hiyacynthia says:

Oh, Lord! I don’t even know what kind of trouble I’d get into if I took that challenge! I could just see my 12 year old saying, “Mom, can I drive the car up and down the road by myself?” I would have to come up with something creative. “If by car you mean bicycle, then yes!”

2. Carol Apple says:

Oh gosh – as fun as “Just say Yes” day sounds I don’t think I could do it. I have some pretty rigid rules of self-discipline and people are always tantalizing me with near irresistible temptations. Just when I’m on a roll with my gluten-free diet, there is my co-worker waving a tray full of homemade gooey fragrant cinnamon rolls under my nose. Just when I am doing well with my write-one-hour-a day plan, there is my husband hollering, “Hey! “Gold Diggers 1933″ is on TCM and it’s starting now!” He knows it’s almost impossible for me to resist a 1930’s musical. Sounds like you did OK even though you got yourself into a another run. I enjoyed your post immensely!

Thanks, Carol! I think I got off pretty easy. My younger son had been imagining the piles of junk food he would ask for, but he didn’t ask for any of it. 😉

3. Nikki says:

See, I need to have a just say no day, because I tend to say yes to everything. Then I regret it. My little brother went to Peru, and he did say that it’s very intense when you do the hiking to see Machu Pichu and the like, but his wife isn’t exactly outdoorsy or a hiker and she survived fine!

4. Larks says:

A “just say yes” day is such a great idea! I love that you said yes to the race/obstacle course. I need to put myself in a situation where I “have” to say yes to stuff like that. I’m a little scared of what my husband and especially my 4 year old might rope me into, though…

5. This is SO great!! And it’s wonderful that you are even coming out of retirement just to honor the spirit of the day!! 🙂 (and I LOVE that your husband was testing you with the ice cream! HA!)

6. You, ma’am, are a far braver woman than I. In this house, there is no way I could get away with having to say yes to everything. They would push every little button.

7. Mayor Gia says:

Hahaha that is tough! I’d fail about ten seconds into my work day, methinks

8. Amber says:

Hi! Visiting from Yeah Write, liked this post! You are doing the Inca Trail too? ((in August I’m guessing? I’m doing it in June!. Good luck with your training!

9. Hahaha I love what your husband did, hilarious. I would fail at this challenge about 4 seconds into my day, but the idea is so great.

10. I think the say yes idea is a good one. I wouldn’t ever do it, mind you, but it’s a very positive, open-minded idea. I love that your husband tried to mess with you though!

11. Cute what the hubs did! I would be afraid to say yes to everything. Level Indignant is an awesome term!

12. modmomelleroy says:

Oh your hubby sounds like mine. He messes with me like that. I liked Level Indignant too!

13. Laura says:

How brave of you to attempt such a challenge. Anything could happen!!! And seriously, cookies n cream with homemade caramel sauce sounds divine . Next time I’ll come over for a scoop or five. 😉

14. This is genius! I love the idea, but am having a panic attack just thinking about saying yes to everything for a day. And I can’t imagine my husband only asking for ice cream! You’re a brave chick. Well done!

15. I certainly applaud you. Perhaps I will try a “say yes hour” first 😉

16. Jared Karol says:

I think you just inspired me. . . I’m going to start a say “no” to everything day. . . tomorrow! 🙂

17. Janice says:

Brave woman! I could never do it. My family would find out, and the exploitation would begin.

18. 50peach says:

I thought I was the only one who imagined the Jim Carrey movie Yes Man! Although… word to the wise, don’t ever make the statement on a first date, “Sometimes it’s interesting to see what happens if you just say yes.”. A devious man WILL use it in an inappropriate context. 🙂

19. Dana says:

This would backfire so badly with me, because everyone knows I’m a pushover to begin with. The whole world would mess with me! 😉

20. There is no way I could do a say yes to everything day. That or a 5k. Kudos to you for making it through.

21. iasoupmama says:

Oh, goodness. I’d pick a day and end up saying yes to trips to Disneyland, cookies for supper, and buying a new car. I just know it,,,

22. Your husband sounds awesome! With two creative and persistent boys, I could get into big trouble with a say-yes day. . .not even gonna try it!

23. Pingback: First World Problems | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

24. Pingback: COMPLETED: 101 Things in 1001 Days | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

25. Pingback: Year in Review: 2013 | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish