Spam, Spam, Shrimp, and Spam: Spambalaya Jambalaya

{Celebrate your courage: Send me a postcard.}
Spam out of a can

“The Spam thudded onto the cutting board with an Alpo-esque scthfflurumphhh.”

I came across a strange recipe for Spambalaya Jambalaya, and it ended up on my 101 things list. Aside from its awesome name, I had to ask: Why?

Canned spiced meat product mixed with fancy seafood just seemed a little off, and… well, it was.

Pink wine with pink meat

I felt I needed to class things up a bit, so I Googled What wine I do serve with Spam? and found this helpful advice:

“I’d look to simple, fruity and accessible reds with SPAM™, seeking the same type of wines that I’d serve with ham: Beaujolais, lighter Pinot Noir, Loire Cabernet Franc or the fruitier sort of Italian reds such as Valpolicella or Bardolino. … Or rose, of course. After all, the logical extension of the classic rule might be ‘pink wine with pink meat.’ Finally, don’t overlook the possibility that this may just be the time and place to reconsider White Zinfandel. If you’re willing to put SPAM™ on your dinner table, why not go the full Monty…Python?”

A Spam dinner party

Fun with Spam

I gathered a merry crew to try my Spambalaya Jambalaya with me. After months of trying to get everyone together, it was time to open the cans.

The Spam thudded onto the cutting board with an Alpo-esque scthfflurumphhh. We each explored the gelatinous coating and tried the Spam fresh from the can. I knew it would be less than appetizing, but it was grosser than I anticipated, soft, spongy, a sickly pale pink, and salty as hell.

Even though I took on this challenge as a goof, I hardly ever entertain and this was a rare dinner party, so I rued having to put this stuff into my jambalaya.

I cubed it and lightly browned it in olive oil, and it was somewhat improved. Not great, but not going to ruin my dish either. I made my Spambalaya Jambalaya with shrimp, sausage, and Spam, and I served it with mustard greens and cheddar corn bread. And the pink wine, of course.

In the finished dish, the sautéed Spam added bursts of salty silkiness. (How’s that for trying to class it up? Check out this funny video about pretentious food.)

Spambalaya jambalaya dinner

We had a fun meal together and ended on a high note with Alicia’s delicious Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie.

While the Spam wasn’t a total win, at least it reminded me of one of my favorite Monty Python skits:

(Video link)

I gotta admit that Spambalaya Jambalaya was a lot better than this kind of spam. What is wrong with these people?

Spam not your thing? Take me to the quesadilla casserole.

• What’s your favorite Monty Python skit?
  • Bloggers: Does spam drive you crazy?

101 things button #92: 101 things in 1001 days. Make Spambalaya Jambalaya.

{Yeah Write readers: My submission A church where an atheist can feel at home was removed from the grid because I posted it a day too early. Sorry for the confusion.}

This entry was posted in 101 Things, Food and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Spam, Spam, Shrimp, and Spam: Spambalaya Jambalaya

1. Eeeeew! Spam groses me out so bad. But it is hilarious! Now that pie…yummmm!

2. Buckeroomama says:

Spam Jambalaya, hmm, now that’s something… =)

3. This is a funny story, although I think I’d rather starve than eat spam! But I’m sure it was fun to keep saying Spambalaya Jambalaya. Love Monty Python.

4. Angela Ryan says:

Spambalaya Jampabalaya? Great question: Seriously, why? That just sounds awful, but it looks like you had fun.

5. iasoupmama says:

I think that Spam is something everyone must try once in their lifetime. I haven’t found the right occasion yet, though. Some day!

lol, I had it once on a camping trip with college friends. Someone “flambeed” it with brandy over a campfire. I thought that was strange, too.

6. SPAM & white zine–culinary hell. That pecan pie sounds divine though. Sounds like fun was had by all, and that’s what it’s all about.

7. Mayor Gia says:

As a vegetarian, I find spam to be…interesting (ick!). And I HATE the robot commenters – I get them multiple times a day. Blogger is pretty good about catching them though.

8. My mom used to slice spam into slaps and fry it. I never did like spam. Or fried bologna for that matter.

9. Oh God. You are a brave brave woman.

10. TriGirl says:

Errr, yuck. I did enjoy the story though, and that you turned it into an evening with friends!

11. Jen says:

I don’t like internet spam OR food-Spam! But now I’ll be humming the Spamspamspam song most of the day. At least, until it’s replaced by the argument sketch or the sperm song…

12. Ginny Marie says:

My dad likes Spam occasionally, fried, because they ate it growing up. Sometimes it was the only meat they could afford!

13. I can’t remember the last time I had Spam. It was probably more than 20 years ago. My mom used to slice it thin then fry it really crispy, dipped in mustard. As I recall, I really enjoyed it. I can’t imagine putting it in jambalaya!

14. “What wine do I serve with Spam?” Hilarious!

You sound like a lot of fun. I want to come to the next dinner party, as long as there’s no Spam. 😉

How about haggis? That’s on my list, too. I’ve never had it. (I don’t have to cook it, though. That would be beyond my capabilities.)

15. Gina says:

The mention of Spam always makes me think about Monty Python. Always. I don’t believe, well I know, I’ve never tried it. I love that you had fun with it!

16. I grilled Spam once for a laugh. It had smoky undertones and a hint of yuck. The beer was good though.

17. The Mommy says:

I actually don’t mind Spam–is it ok to admit that? But your commentary on this post was HILARIOUS! (Dropping by from SITS.)

18. Pingback: Year in Review: 2013 | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

19. Pingback: COMPLETED: 101 Things in 1001 Days | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

20. Pingback: My Third Blogoversary, and Life Without a List | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

21. Pingback: If I Knew You Were Coming, I’d’ve Baked a Cake in a Shoe Box | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish