Definitely Enough Snow: Snowshoeing After Nemo

Snowshoes

#DPSWEATHER

This is the final winter of my 101 things list, and a few weeks ago my husband talked me out of snowshoeing, which is on my list, because there were only a few inches of snow.

“If you can walk through it anyways, it doesn’t really count,” he argued.

I’m nothing if not a rule follower, even my own self-imposed rules, so I spent the last few snowless weeks vaguely worrying we wouldn’t get enough snow.

Well, we got enough snow. Winter Storm Nemo dropped about 3 feet on Connecticut.

Definitely enough snow.

I traveled across the virgin snow in our backyard pretty well, but my right foot came out a few times, and my leg plunged down, way down, snow up to my thigh.

Marcy goes snowshoeing

Marcy in snowshoes

My husband suggested I check out an abandoned car across the street and make sure no one was stuck inside. I slowly went over and made my way back.

Abandoned car Storm Nemo

“Did you check in the back seat?” he asked.

“No. What? Why?”

“What if someone is stuck in there in the back seat, waiting for help?”

“There isn’t,” I said.

“Did you check? What if?”

I knew he was messing with me, but I had to check anyways because what if? I strapped them on again and made my way over there. It was all clear.

Snoeshoe path

I even pitched in with the shoveling. We’re going to have to do it in stages. There is a massive amount of snow out there.

Shoveling after Storm Nemo in Connecticut

Shoveling after Storm Nemo in Connecticut

101 things button #63. Go snowshoeing: 101 things in 1001 days.

Weekly-Top-Shot

This entry was posted in 101 Things, Connecticut and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Definitely Enough Snow: Snowshoeing After Nemo

1. Jeanne says:

Oh my goodness! Guess I shouldn’t complain of our every other day bouts of winter weather from Mother Nature. Much easier to deal with then a walloping! Glad you were able to cross snowshoeing off you list though.

2. Oh Marcy this made my day. I think my favorite part was your son reading Goodnight Moon. Too funny. And that is some snow. Never say never with snowshoes, right?

Thanks. The Goodnight Moon video was a previous YouTube video that it automatically rolled into. I don’t know if it’s a YouTube setting or what, but thanks for checking it out. :)

3. Jared Karol says:

That looks like so much fun. I know if I actually lived somewhere where it dumped three foot of snow at a time, I might be thinking otherwise, but for now I’m going to live vicariously through you and your snowshoeing adventure. . .

4. I’ve never been snow shoeing. It looks like a lot of fun. Is it pretty physically taxing too like cross country skiing or wading through the ocean?

On an unrelated note, “Nemo?” Seriously, whoever gets to name storms? “Nemo?”

I found it taxing. I’m sure I’ll have some sore muscles tomorrow. It was really easy to get the hang of, though. I don’t completely get the Nemo thing because some places are calling it “Charlotte.” I guess there is no one group that names winter storms the way there is for hurricanes.

5. Awesome! We got enough snow too. But we have a bigass driveway and my energy was spend SHOVELING! Us CA gals aren’t so used to that ;0

6. Gem says:

Ugh we get snows like that, luckily our most this year was 10″. But snowshoeing looks fun, I went once as small child.

7. Robbie says:

It looks like fun and I’ve heard it is a fantastic workout!

8. Amber says:

Did you make your snow shoes? Those are pretty cool. I love snow shoeing, so fun!

9. Congrats on doing that! Glad you got enough snow to try. Your husband cracked me up. Seems like a good motivator…

10. I’ve never been tempted to go snow-shoeing, but the amount of snow we got on Friday made me want to go tobogganing. It looks like you had fun though!

11. Oh WOW! SNOW!!! I know it can be a pain…but man is it pretty! Everything is just wet and muddy here ;)

12. Great photos! The amount of snow was unbelievable, wasn’t it?! Then they were calling for a Nor’easter this weekend, but fortunately that is staying south of us. Remember the winter from 2 years ago? That was bad too. I’m ready for Spring!

13. shewhocarriescamera says:

My brother lives in the Storrs area and he, too, has snow shoes, but I’ve never seen photos of him or his wife using them, so I’m glad to hear and see they worked! Came in handy for sure with Nemo! Glad you didn’t find anyone in the car!

I was scared I would find someone. Phew. It turned out the owner of the car had tried to pull someone else out who was stuck, and he broke the axle on his own car.

14. artmusedog says:

Great shots ~ how to enjoy winter! ^_^

15. LOVE these series of shots… at least there’s an up side to snow! I’m so glad you came by to share on Weekly Top Shot #70!

16. Kay says:

Found your post through Weekly Top Shot. Wow! What a great idea to challenge yourself. These are wonderful shots. Good for you!