From a flying trapeze and rolling zorb to museums devoted to bad art and good sex, along with a cow to milk, some very awkward dance moves, and a screaming go kart, I made the most of my final summer to complete 101 things in 1001 days. Seeing the sun rise and set during my final day of hiking the Inca Trail was a special, unexpected bonus. Heading into the fall and winter, I have only three months left to complete the remaining nine challenges on my list.
July – September, 2013: 10th Quarterly Report
(Only 9 more things to go!)
#1: Milk a cow: Well, did you ever milk a cow?
Related: Scheduling a Cow
#8: Take a trapeze class: Confronting the Abyss at Trapeze School New York.
#10: Document one month of my life in photographs: A Month in the Life: 300 Photos in 2 Minutes
to the top of a tree and take a picture of the view: Go climb a tree. (Not my finest hour–a fail?)
#20: Give a sample from my gut: Give gut.
#36: See the sunrise and sunset in the same day: Hiking the Inca Trail, Day 4: Race to the Sun Gate and Machu Picchu.
#58: Go zorbing: A Gigantic Hamster Ball and the Meaning of Life.
#62: Drive a go kart again: F1 Racing: Look at That Maniac Go
#67: Go to at least 5 offbeat or small museums.
#79: Dance my way through Dance Central with Kinect: I Bust a Move on Dance Central a/k/a Cartoons Pity Me in My Basement
#86: Go tubing down the Farmington River with my kids: Drifting Down a Lazy River at the End of Summer.
#90: Help clean up the Quinnipiac or something else outdoors: Other people’s garbage.
#94: Fast for one day of Ramadan: An Unseen Sweetness: Fast for One Day of Ramadan.
Tasks I am making progress on:
#53. Eat meatless at least one day a week on average. (Working on this, Meatless Monday updates here.)
#55. Play, give away, or throw out each of the 32 board games in my basement: Hurricane Irene: Caffeine Withdrawal, Cowboy Chili, and Dinner by Candlelight.
#75. Read at least 15 classics I’ve never read–Almost done.
Previously read during this challenge:
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- My Ántonia by Willa Cather (My Ántonia Didn’t Change, But I Sure Did)
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (I Am Not Rebecca)
- A Room with a View by E. M. Forster
- The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (A Christmas Quest: Solve the Riddles to Find Your Present)
- The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
- Green Hills of Africa by Ernest Hemingway
- Candide by Voltaire
- The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy
- The Iliad by Homer
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
- Learn to juggle three balls.
- Record a song with me playing a bodhran with my family.
- Relearn how to play “Greensleeves” on the guitar.
- De-clutter my house.
- Take a yoga class again.
- Knit something.
Check out my ebook about this quest: Timid No More.
My previous reports:
- Quarterly report #1
- Quarterly report #2
- Quarterly report #3
- Quarterly report #4
- Quarterly report #5
- Quarterly report #6
- Quarterly report #7
- Quarterly report #8
- Quarterly report #9