Doing anything for 1,043 days in a row is sure to bring its challenges, and walking at least 10,000 steps a day had its share:

• darting out of a basement pub into the New Haven streets before the entrées came
  • freezing at night across the Portland bridge in the dead of winter
  • doing laps around a friend’s living room between cocktails, clockwise and counterclockwise (I still get teased about that one.)
  • rushing up and down a Greek marina before midnight struck
  • a hundred other times I needed “just x more steps” before I could call it a day.

I kept my walking streak going for ages while I was looking for a more graceful reason to end it than “I’m lazy.”

When I arrived in Puno, Peru from Cuzco after a seven-hour bus ride, the Inca Trail completed the day before, I knew it was time. My husband and I hit the streets to walk a little before dinner; we visited Puno’s beautiful cathedral with its unusual crucifix out front, featuring a chicken and a pair of dice, and we wandered down some streets looking for a market we had passed in the taxi. After this exploration, I checked my pedometer to see how many steps I had racked up, and it wasn’t even a thousand.

Puno Peru cathedral

With the city’s very narrow sidewalks, lack of stop lights (drivers would honk as they approached each intersection to ward off a crash), and darkness falling, I decided it was a good time to let the streak end before I got myself killed over it.

Walking about five miles a day for 1,043 days means I walked approximately 5,215 miles during this challenge. That’s a lot of miles. In 5,215 miles, I would get from Connecticut to Uruguay (as the crow flies).

5000 miles

To put it in nerd terms, Frodo and Sam only walked 1,779 miles to get from Hobbiton to Mount Doom, so I could have gone there and back again no problem, and destroyed the ring to boot.

The streak is dead; long live the streak!

101 things in 1001 days #32 (101 things in 1001 days): Walk 10,000 steps a day for an average of six days a week.

Related post: Still Stepping (with four distinct phases to establishing a walking habit)

Puno Peru cathedral

Puno, Peru

The streak lasted from October 2, 2010 – August 10, 2013 (1,043 days!)

Have you had any long streaks?

This entry was posted in 101 Things, Fitness and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Walk 10,000 Steps a Day for Over 1,000 Days: The Streak is Dead; Long Live the Streak

1. Pingback: Still stepping: 10,000 steps a day | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

2. Alicia says:

I have an amazing streak of NOT walking 10,000 steps a day!! It’s gone on for a long time!! Great job on your streak!!

3. Abby says:

That’s quite a streak – 1043 days – Congratulations! We’ve had “step challenges” at my husband’s work – they provided the pedometers – so I know how obsessive it can be to just get to 10,000!
    As for my streaking, I blogged every day for a year. Once.

4. LaTonya says:

I’m a stepper but I can’t touch your record. Kudos on an impressive track record.

5. Karen says:

That’s pretty incredible!! I hope you enjoyed your well-deserved break.

You’ve inspired me to get a pedometer.

6. It sounds like you’ve set up the habit as walking as much as you can. As impressive as the streak is, you deserve the break. Congratulations!
    that cynking feeling recently posted..Back to schoolMy Profile

7. Larks says:

Wow. That’s a straight up impressive streak! Go you! Long live the streak indeed!
    Larks recently posted..Seattle flip flops.My Profile

8. Daniel Nest says:

Holy crap that’s a lot of steps. The question is, now that it’s done (or is it?) – what’s the next step? (no pun intended)

The next step is to start walking regularly again. I took a little break once the streak ended that I am hopeful won’t evolve into a return to total couch-potato mode. I would like to walk regularly without the nutty obsessiveness of having to get the steps in no matter the circumstances.

9. Honeybee says:

I get myself a pedometer last month to track my steps to do the 10,000-steps a-day-challenge. But I haven’t reach to 10,000 steps until now. It seems hard to get 10,000 steps in!
    Honeybee recently posted..Weight Loss Success Story: How Elizabeth Lost 150 PoundsMy Profile

Good luck with your walking. I found that walking for 10 minutes here and there throughout the day really helped on those days when I didn’t have time for a longer walk.

10. Pingback: COMPLETED: 101 Things in 1001 Days | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

11. Pingback: Fitbit to be Tied | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

12. Pingback: My Third Blogoversary, and Life Without a List | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

13. Pingback: Fitbit to be Tied, Part 2 | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish