Times to Remember

mwahahahamwahahaha101 things in 1001 days

If the evil laugh mwahahaha had existed back when my parents were still alive, it would have rung out around the kitchen table whenever someone got set. My mom and dad loved competition. Card games, board games, TV quiz shows: if they could beat you, they would rub it in your face with glee.

When the cards come out these days, I still think of my dad’s favorite sayings. “Strong like bull,” he’d shout when someone trumped in with a face card. “Let’s get ‘em out,” he’d yell if someone dropped a heart early in a round of “Hearts.” He’d ask, “Wait a second–everyone can’t make their bid?” with feigned innocence when I was the only one set in a round of “Oh, Heck,” and he waited for me to admit, “I got two” on my three-bid.

I gave away most of my towering pile of old board games, but I couldn’t let go of “Times to Remember.”

When my husband and I were first married, we would visit my parents once a week, and this game was one of our favorites. We’d go couple against couple, young against old.

The game requires you to remember the exact year that something from history happened, so my mom and dad had a slight advantage, having lived through more of it. My mom idolized Elvis, and she and I both remembered her crying on the couch in 1977, when I came home to the news that Elvis had died. Just three years later, it was my turn to cry on the couch at the news that John Lennon had been killed.

On the other hand, being older isn’t always an advantage. Sure, the Kennedy assassination or the first man on the moon is easy, but just when was that Cabbage Patch Kids craze? When did the man who played Coach on “Cheers” die? And when did Emperor Hirohito die for that matter? Decades I lived through have become a soup of lumpy mush.

So faced with my board game elimination rule to “use it or lose it,” I wanted to save “Times to Remember” and recruited my teenagers to play against my husband and me, young against old.

They were reluctant to play, thinking that they’d be at too big a disadvantage. I reassured them that they’re learning these dates in school, while we’ve had decades to forget them.

Still, we crushed them.

Mwahahaha.

Times to Remember collage

This entry was posted in 101 Things and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Times to Remember

1. Now that you crushed your sons in the game, what are the chances they will play with you again? 😉
    that cynking feeling recently posted..Be their guest: NaBloPoMo at yeah writeMy Profile

2. Greeting Rowmie! Isn’t that a great word? Don’t you wish you had invented it? I shall be like an itch you can’t scratch for the entire month of November! But in a good way.

I too was for a very long time a board and card game addict. How many times did I see the dawn over the bridge table? Then I married a man who literally doesn’t know a heart from a club. With the exception of Real Sports (baseball in particular), he has no interest in games except Trivial Pursuits at which he is a killer. On the UP SIDE, I learned to love baseball and understand the rest.

Great to meet you! We shall, I know, meet again. Soon, very soon.
    Marilyn Armstrong recently posted..ALTERNATIVE MOTHERINGMy Profile

Hi Marliyn,
      My husband and I both love cards, but we don’t play board games much anymore. I do join him for some football, basketball, and baseball on TV, but I am usually doing something else at the same time. Nice to meet you!

3. Rose says:

Oh board games! My best memories are playing “Life” with my little sister. It is a terribly long game to get through (or at least seemed so at the time), but I have very fond memories. Oh, and fond memories of gin rummy tournaments at holidays. This post has made me want to break out a pack of cards or rummage around Mom’s garage looking for “Life.” At any rate, you’re one of my rowmie’s, and I am oh-so-happy to have found your blog. I’m diggin’ it! 😀
    Rose recently posted..And Sometimes I’m NiceMy Profile

4. Dream2write says:

Loved this! As a teacher of teens, so relate to beating them! It’s such a glorious feeling! 🙂
    Dream2write recently posted..Regret Me NotMy Profile

5. Rara says:

My parents are bwuahahahaers when it comes to board games, too! They actually went on their first date after yelling at each other for hours about a Monopoly game gone wrong. 😀 Dave and I spend a lot of time playing games now, and we don’t hold back either! 🙂 Loved this post!
    Rara recently posted..Why the sky is blue, and other childhood nostalgias the internet killed.My Profile

6. Stacie says:

Mwahahaha! I’ve never heard of this game, which is so funny b/c I’m certainly plenty old enough. My kids don’t want to do anything but play computer games…

7. Angela Ryan says:

Great memory. This post made me reminisce on some of my own board game bonding moments. I still have the piece of paper I scored one Scrabble game against my grandmother on. I dominated that game, but what’s important now is that memory of her.

That’s sweet. In the early days of our marriage, my husband and I used to take a Polaroid picture of every finished Scrabble game with the scores recorded on the white strip. I don’t remember why, but your comment reminded me of it.

8. Traditions are important.
    And I’m glad you trounced the younguns. 😉 Muahahaha!
    Natalie – The Cat Lady Sings recently posted..Performance AnxietyMy Profile

9. Gina says:

I loved this!!! We play cards like maniacs. I’m not competitive like my kids or hubby but I still don’t like being crushed! Its time i weed through our games (while keeping a few). Never heard of this game.
    Gina recently posted..WWW. Wednesday: Check Out My Books This Week…My Profile

10. I love board games and when my older son was younger (the pre-video game era) he and I used to have the best time playing them. Now, it’s like pulling teeth to get my kids to play one because a) they’d rather be playing video games and b) I usually whip their butts – oh…I mean I win. But I try really hard not to…really I do. 😉
    Linda Roy – elleroy was here recently posted..Thanksgiving 101: Why Are We All Defcon 1 Over Cooking a Big Chicken?My Profile

These video games are a scourge on families, I am becoming more and more convinced. My husband is just as hooked as my kids are. I always beat them whenever I can. I can’t compete with them in sports anymore, so I take what I can get. 🙂

11. Pingback: Board Games … Bored Games | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

12. Pingback: COMPLETED: 101 Things in 1001 Days | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish