Whether by yak or by Harley, let’s get out there

Camel caravan MoroccoMy camel’s shadow as I journey into the Sahara

I like the slant of this travel list: 49 journeys that’ll change your life.

On the list, they cram in as many SMTs as possible–that’s suggested modes of transport. Some of the modes they highlighted that caught my eye: helicopter, yak, ice skates, Harley, reindeer sled, and rickshaw.

I guess it doesn’t matter how you get there, as long as you get there. Strike that–I want to ride a Harley and a reindeer sled and a rickshaw. (Not the Harley, though, that’s too scary. Maybe a Vespa?)

Check out the list for blurbs on a yak safari in Mongolia, an ice skating commute in Ottawa, a national reserve in Kenya, the Great Wall of China, and the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland.

Of all the trips, I most dream of returning to Ireland and traveling around the Dingle Peninsula. When we couldn’t fit it in during our jam-packed trip to Ireland years ago, I knew I would have to go back.

Elephant trek ThailandMy sons David and Daniel atop an elephant in Thailand

I’ve done three of their suggested journeys already via elephant, camel, and foot. (Just 46 to go?)

1. Chiang Mai Hill Country, Thailand. SMT: Elephant
  2. Merzouga to Erg Chebbi, Morocco. SMT: Camel
  3. The Inca Trail, Peru. SMT: Foot

Which journey do you most dream of taking (and by what mode of transport)?

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Whether by yak or by Harley, let’s get out there

1. The Grand Canyon by burro. I hear great things about it.
    Marilyn Armstrong recently posted..TIED UP AT THE DOCKMy Profile

2. Monica says:

Dingle. You must go to Dingle. It’s one of the few places I’ve ever been, and I definitely want to go back someday.

And I dream of an African Safari in a jeep like Elsa drives in Born Free. 🙂
    Monica recently posted..Musings of a HypocriteMy Profile

I really want to go back to Ireland! I loved it so much. I would love to go on a Sarafi too. Someday… Along with Italy and China, those are the places I most want to go to.

3. I’d like to ride a cable car in San Francisco, take the subway in New York and ride the El in Chicago. Hmm, while I’m dreaming, I’d like to take a train ride (not sure where, but I miss riding the trains from my semester in the UK) and someday I’ll take a cruise. I think a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands would be sweet.
    that cynking feeling recently posted..lord of the fruit fliesMy Profile

4. dream2write says:

I have ridden, for fun not for transport, a camel and an elephant when I lived in India. It was awesome! Unsure how it would be for a lengthy amount of time though.
    dream2write recently posted..What’s in a Grade Anyway?My Profile

5. Stacie says:

I haven’t been nearly that interesting. But to cynks point, I have the SF cable car and NY subway under wraps since I’ve spent a lot of time in those places!
    Stacie recently posted..Comment on Google Me Q313 by Cindy – The Reedster SpeaksMy Profile

6. Rose says:

I’m not a big traveler and definitely not the adventurous type, but I agree with Marilyn…burros in the Grand Canyon would be the way to go. (Sorry to copy you, Marilyn…it just sounded so good!)
    Rose recently posted..Coffee MorningsMy Profile

I have pictured hiking down and back up, but I would always have to go in the crazy heat of summer, so that has never happened.

7. Rara says:

Like Rose, I’m not much of a traveler or adventurer– so… is luxurious fancy train ride with wi-fi to somewhere safe an option? Ha! 😀
    Rara recently posted..I can’t.My Profile