If My Life Had a Soundtrack

This week’s Twisted Mixtape theme is “if my life had a soundtrack.” Well, it turns out my life does have a soundtrack, as long as you take a stroll with me through my YouTube channel. I hope it’s not too self-indulgent to feature some of my own videos that I set to beloved rock songs.

1. “Ripple” by the Grateful Dead

A few months ago, I completed my challenge to do 101 things in 1001 days, and I am still feeling the effects of these things rippling through my life. This video shows all 101 of them, in a mix of short videos and one-second photos. To quote another Dead song, “What a long, strange trip it’s been.”

2. “Hotel Yorba” by the White Stripes

I love this quick paced, joyous song, so I paired it with the hundreds of photos I took in June to document a month of my life, one of the tasks of 101 things in 1001 days. (Read about the challenge: A Month in the Life)

3. “Watching the Wheels” by John Lennon

I chose this one for its lyrics when I turned round and round, speeding down a hill, in my first and only zorbing ride. (Read about the challenge: Zorbing: A Gigantic Hamster Ball and the Meaning of Life)

4. “Marrakesh Express” by Crosby, Stills and Nash

This classic rock song is embedded so deep in my psyche that for all I know it’s one of the reasons I decided to go to Morocco in the first place. (Related post: Fried Chicken on the Marrakesh Express)

5. “Here Comes the Sun” by the Beatles

I featured this song recently in a short video slideshow when I had a sunflower bloom in my basement in the dead of winter. It was such an uplifting experience to see that gorgeous flower, and this song always lifts me up too! (Read about the challenge: New life amid the polar vortex)

Bonus. “Kokomo” by the Beach Boys

It’s a stretch to say this song is one of my favorites, but it does cheer up a room in an instant. I chose it for my video on juggling behind a bar because it came from the movie Cocktail (with juggling bartenders), and How I Met Your Mother featured it that way too. (Read about the challenge: Bar Juggling Scene)

My Skewed View

This entry was posted in Music, Video and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to If My Life Had a Soundtrack

1. Sara says:

Hotel Yorba is my fave, fave White Stripes song. Love it. And Kokomo always makes me smile, and makes me think of the 4th grade when it was used as the “entrance” song for my tinikling team. Great mix! And 101 things in 1001 days – nice work!
    Sara recently posted..Soundtrack to my school lifeMy Profile

2. Rich Rumple says:

Well, that’s one way to get people to look at all your pictures and clips. lol The 101 things challenge was amazing. Some I’ve done, others I haven’t. Now I’m going to have to go back and adjust my bucket list all over again. Oh, was that a Deathstalker scorpion? Certainly looked like one. Exceptionally well done!

I don’t know about what kind of scorpion other than it was in my children’s clothes (that’ll teach them to throw their clothes on the floor), and when I saw it get crushed by my husband’s heel I was so freaked out I burst out crying. Thanks for putting up with my photos :)

3. Jackie says:

Wow — Loved your video. Loved that you did all of those things in 1001 days! Loved your song selections, too!

You may have inspired me to do some things of my own.
    Jackie recently posted..The Soundtrack of My Life: Twisted Mixed Tape TuesdayMy Profile

4. OK this is phenomenal and now I don’t have anytime to listen to anyone else’s mixtapes because I had to watch each video all the way through.
    It was so touching and moving and really made me think about my life and how stuck I can get. It is so uplifting to see you moving out of your comfort zone, I feel like my whole life is a comfort zone.
    Wow.
    I am almost afraid to read your book now because…. well you probably get it.
    You’re awesome.
    JenKehl – My Skewed View recently posted..Twisted Mix Tape 48 – My Life Could Have Been a MusicalMy Profile

I am still working on the things that hold me back. I’m sure I’ll be a work in progress forever–that’s part of what made the project so much fun. Thanks for your kind words, Jen.

5. Robin says:

You have great taste in music! I love that you put your own video stories to the songs :)

You are an inspiration to someone like me, who is afraid to step out of my comfort zone. I’m working on it.
    Robin recently posted..It’s All About Me – Share Your WorldMy Profile

6. Okay, so you actually do put soundtracks to your life. So cool!
    that cynking feeling recently posted..“A trait we could all aspire to”My Profile

7. Karen says:

Awesome song selections.

I love that memorizing a favorite poem was one of your challenges.

xo Karen
    Karen recently posted..LegaciesMy Profile

8. Stacie says:

I love the way you did this, the soundtracks to your life. That big plastic ball still cracks me up. I probably would have tossed my cookies!

9. Lucy says:

Found you via the SITS gals! I love challenges and the 101 is right up my alley! Such a satisfaction with crossing things off a list. Enjoyed the music!
    Lucy recently posted..Truckers Wife Weekly Money Saving Challenge: Week 10My Profile

10. Michael says:

Wow! I want to be you! So inspirational. I need to get off my butt and do something today… rainy day be damned! You. Are. Awesome.
    Michael recently posted..BlindMy Profile

11. You have great taste in music. I like all of these songs. :)
    Natalie – The Cat Lady Sings recently posted..I Am Not A Grown-UpMy Profile

12. Daniel Nest says:

That was an awesome post. Zorbing looks fun as hell, I gotta try it! And nice juggling skills—I can’t even consistently throw and catch a single fruit.
    Daniel Nest recently posted..My mission? A peaceful UkraineMy Profile

13. Jen says:

I’d totally pick these songs, too!! Love!
    Jen recently posted..Polling Prompted: Color the WorldMy Profile

14. tinsenpup says:

I had to wait for a quiet minute to watch these. I’m so glad I did though. There is just so much awesome in this post. I actually got a little emotional watching your 101 things all together like that. Great music too and each song was a perfect match for your videos.
    tinsenpup recently posted..Advice to Myself | FailureMy Profile

15. Pingback: Hunting for the Byrds and the Animals | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish