When winter gives you lemons…

Homemade limoncello collage

When winter gives you lemons … make limoncello!

Tart and sweet, crisp and cold, limoncello is a delightful after-dinner drink, and it turns out it’s easy to make at home.

I just finished my second batch; my first try was delicious too, but I liked this batch even better, less sweet and a little stronger.

grain alcohol and lemons

To make limoncello, I first peeled eight lemons.

peeled and cut lemons

You just use the zest in the limoncello. I squeezed the leftover lemons for a batch of homemade lemonade.

squeezed lemons and lemon juice

Add the zest to grain alcohol or vodka, and let the mixture steep in a cool, dark place for at least a week.

grain alcohol and lemon peels in canning jars

Strain the mixture, and discard the zest.

Add simple syrup. It will turn cloudy as you pour it in. Here is the limoncello recipe I used, but be sure to adjust the amount of sugar to your taste, and add the simple syrup a little at a time.

Chill in the freezer for several hours.

Cheers!

homemade limoncello

I love trying to make simple things from scratch. Some other homemade delights:

What do you like to make from scratch?

Beyond 101 things Beyond 101 Things

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to When winter gives you lemons…

1. I loved limoncello back when I could still drink it. I so would have tried this. :) My husband tells me his Italian family used to make it.
    Natalie – The Cat Lady Sings recently posted..I Am Not A Grown-UpMy Profile

2. Stacie says:

I haven’t had grain alcohol since college! I’ve never had this version though. Sounds good, although I mostly drink wine now.

3. Aisha says:

I’ll pass on the alcohol, but I’m going next to your nut butter recipe post! Thanks!
    Aisha recently posted..Photo Poem: “Oh Cairo2,” Photo 2 of 10My Profile

4. Kim says:

Never heard of it before, but it sounds yummy! I’ll have to give it a go.
    Kim recently posted..60 Days In: Still BloggingMy Profile

5. Larks says:

Nomnomnom! Get in mah belleh!
    Larks recently posted..Comment on Being The Worst. by LarksMy Profile

6. Karen says:

I don’t drink, but I’m excited to try those homemade corn tortillas!! xo
    Karen recently posted..The Stories Are in Our BloodMy Profile

7. I have some super homemade limoncello that someone gave me. It’s even distilled by him. It’s been in my freezer since Christmas…I’m kind of afraid of it. :)
    That Unique* Weblog recently posted..Glad I Saw It: From Whence Empathy ComesMy Profile

8. tinsenpup says:

I can’t drink either, but it really is pretty. What a lovely gift it would make for the right person.
    tinsenpup recently posted..Photo a Day | Something BorrowedMy Profile

9. Ummm yes please! I bet it was amazing! :P
    Shannon ~ My Place in the Race recently posted..Manatees 2014 (Jan.18-20)My Profile

10. I really love how you’ve been sharing your experiences making rather than buying things. I’ve never had limoncello. Maybe I’ll have to try it some day.
    that cynking feeling recently posted..Blogging Alliance of the Damned: Goals & SuchMy Profile