An Alarming Desire

an impulse rises.

What makes a rule-follower
yearn to rebel?

I pull it.

Time freezes;
the automated scream shatters me,
down to my goody two shoes.

Hundreds appear,
freed from tests and haiku.

Of course, I had permission.

Image by Hey Paul (Creative Commons)

In response to the Gargleblaster challenge, I had 42 words to answer the question, “Have all your clocks stopped?”

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to An Alarming Desire

1. theinnerzone says:

Mischievous take on the prompt – love the line – “Time freezes;
    the automated scream shatters me,
    down to my goody two shoes.” There is so much going on in 42!

Thanks for saying that. I had started with being a goody two shoes, and I couldn’t fit it in there, so I ended up liking where it ended up.

2. Sue says:

yes the goody two shoes – but the tests and haiku made me laugh out loud. I write a lot of Haiku – thanks for the chuckle

3. Genna Claire says:

I love this one, Marcy!! And my goodie two shoes have always wanted to do that too . . .
    Genna Claire recently posted..gargleblaster: have all your clocks stopped?My Profile

4. Geeta Nair says:

Ha! Ha! Lovely.
    Geeta Nair recently posted..KismetMy Profile

5. Kir says:

“Down to my goody two shoes” , what a fantastic line about what happens when we push our own boundaries.

hasn’t everyone itched to pull that lever at one time or another? Having permission to do it is a guilty pleasure satisfied 🙂
    Kir recently posted..Without You {Gargleblaster: Yeah Write}My Profile

Yes, I got a little thrill from it. Now other teachers are lining up for the next ones. I guess a lot of us have wanted to pull one 🙂

6. CC says:

Oooh…I have always wanted to do that too 🙂 And I love where ‘goody two shoes’ ended up. Perfect.
    CC recently posted..Graveside ColorsMy Profile

7. De Jackson says:

Ha! Love this, especially:
    “the automated scream shatters me,
    down to my goody two shoes.”
    What a great line!
    De Jackson recently posted..Aubade to BrokenMy Profile

8. Cheryl says:

LOL – this actually brought a memory back to me of the time my son, around seven or eight at the time, pulled the fire alarm during vacation bible school. When the alarm went off, that sixth sense that mothers have kicked in, and I bowed my head and prayed, “Dear Lord, please don’t let it be Steven who pulled the alarm.” A few minutes later, one of the teachers knocks on the door to my classroom (I was teaching in the nursery), with my son in tow, and before she could say anything, I burst into tears and said to my son, “Please tell me you didn’t pull that alarm!” At the time, it seemed like such a big deal, but now, it’s a memory that we all laugh about. Thanks for reminding me of it, because as I read your post, you put a smile on my face.

God bless you,
    Cheryl
    Cheryl recently posted..Naaman and His ServantMy Profile

9. Gina says:

Who hasn’t stood near one of those and thought for one split-second…

Love the “down to her goodie two shoe.” This was fun and a little bit sassy!
    Gina recently posted..Yeah Write Garblebuster: First EverythingsMy Profile

10. AZ Gringa says:

Oh, I love this! Definitely one of my favorites. 😀
    AZ Gringa recently posted..Facebook Giveaway for Laura A. LordMy Profile

11. djmatticus says:

Very clever!
    One of the “good kids” pulled the fire alarm once in junior high. I always wondered what made her do it… and now I think I understand.

Sometimes I want to pass all the cars stuck in traffic on the highway, too, while I speed along in the breakdown lane.

12. Christine says:

Love this, every word! I love how even having permission you felt like a rebel and a rule-breaker. Fabulous. Thanks for linking it up!
    Christine recently posted..ReleaseMy Profile

13. Atreyee says:

Ha!ha!I love this-a rebel with a cause 😉
    Atreyee recently posted..GingerMy Profile