The Angel of Grafton Street

Angel of Grafton Street, Dublin, Ireland

On Grafton Street in white and gold,
with regal wings and upturned palms,
a painted statue is ignored by most.

Two lads approach, coins in hand,
not really seeing her.

She comes to life and startles both,
yet cheers their weary souls.

Angel of Grafton Street Dublin Ireland

In response to the Gargleblaster challenge, I had 42 words to answer “Do you see her much?” I wrote about when this living statue brought a bit of magic to a tiring afternoon in Dublin.

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to The Angel of Grafton Street

1. Shailaja V says:

Oh this was nice! I thought she looked a little like a woman posing and anticipated that she would move. Good touch 🙂

Popping over from YW grid
    Shailaja V recently posted..Do you see her much?~ Fiction (42 words)My Profile

2. Mridubala says:

Wow! Good one…I see hope!
    Mridubala recently posted..“Do you see her much?”My Profile

3. AZ Gringa says:

Nice! I love your originality and warmth. 🙂
    AZ Gringa recently posted..Gargleblaster #157 – “Do you see her much?”My Profile

4. Pingback: Scavenger Hunt Sunday (September 11, 2011) | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

5. I’ve been loving your takes on the prompts.
    that cynking feeling recently posted..Never mind, I’ll find someone like youMy Profile

6. Jen says:

How original! And heartwarming… and a little scary too. Love this one
    Jen recently posted..MischiefMy Profile

7. JannaTWrites says:

These “statues” are good at what they do. We saw several while visiting New Orleans a couple years ago that seemed so real! Love the photo of the two boys and the angel smiling.
    JannaTWrites recently posted..Metaphorical Winter (Speakeasy #157)My Profile

8. howanxious says:

Such a playful write. Very nicely done. 🙂

9. Sue says:

I thought I left a comment earlier — enjoyed this very much

10. Gina says:

I am a total sucker for those! Glad to see those two enjoying the fun!!!
    Gina recently posted..Generation YMy Profile

11. Christine says:

Ha! That’s priceless, that moment of surprise! Really neat subject for this prompt, Marcy – thanks for linking it up!
    Christine recently posted..TuesdaysMy Profile

12. Tam says:

Beautiful! I love your unique perspective on the prompt. You have a real knack for encapsulating a special moment in just a few words.
    Tam recently posted..The Speakeasy | Winter’s KittenMy Profile

13. Larks says:

I always wonder how those living statue people do it. I think the moment I even attempted such a feat, I would get an uncontrollable itch, you know?
    Larks recently posted..Comment on I am a creepy post modern jerk, apparently. by Pam HugginsMy Profile

14. Atreyee says:

A beautifully warm take on the prompt-loved it:-)

15. De Jackson says:

Love the use of rhyme here.
    De Jackson recently posted..Blue MorningMy Profile

16. Lovely piece. I’m glad they were approaching with money and not menaces. Street artists must have such a rough time.

17. Great poem! I’ve always wondered what inspires people to be street statues. And how long does it take them to wash the paint off their faces at the end of the day? A well earned dollar, that’s for sure.
    Michelle @ Modern Acupuncture in Peru recently posted..16 Tips I Wish I Had Known Before Starting My Acupuncture PracticeMy Profile

18. Pingback: Searching for Dan Donnelly’s right arm | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish