They did it: My basement sunflowers lived until spring

About to bloom basement sunflower, now outside

Planted at the wrong time,
they broke through soil anyway,
kept alive by a buzzing light.

The long winter persisted,
but they grew stronger,
and laughed
bright yellow blooms.

In spring,
they breathed fresh air
in a world that now made sense.

Update: An outside flower!
They Did It: My Basement Sunflowers Lived Until Spring

My basement sunflowers survived until spring to be transferred outdoors.

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to They did it: My basement sunflowers lived until spring

1. Pingback: New life amid the polar vortex | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

2. Tam says:

Yay! How awesome is that? I can’t help anthropomorphising a little and imagining revelling in real sunshine.
    Tam recently posted..Gargleblaster | Who Dunnit?My Profile

3. Jen says:

I love sunflowers! Especially big strong ones that the squirrels won’t eat!
    Jen recently posted..Honest InnocenceMy Profile

4. Glad they survived. Sunflowers make me smile.
    that cynking feeling recently posted..The Big (lack of) SleepMy Profile

It was a fleeting thought when I planted them back in November that maybe they could survive until spring and be outside, but I really didn’t think they would make it, so I was pretty excited for them. Yes, I started to imagine that they had feelings 🙂

5. Nice take on the prompt!
    Michelle Longo recently posted..Comfort.My Profile

6. Karen says:

I remember you sunflower post, and I am still in awe of the fact that you were able to get them to grow indoors.

This was a really great take on the prompt.
    Karen recently posted..The SecretMy Profile

7. JannaTWrites says:

I love it when plants survive in spite of our sometimes misguided efforts!
    JannaTWrites recently posted..‘Hare’-Raising Adventure… (Speakeasy #156)My Profile

8. Christine says:

I love that you didn’t go with the obvious – you avoided the cliche nicely, and it worked. I love that you wrote “they laughed” – I always picture sunflowers laughing. Really nice job. Thanks for linking it up!
    Christine recently posted..The BoxMy Profile

9. Sue says:

sweet write – still no flowers here yet
    Sue recently posted..Splishing ‘n’ SplashingMy Profile

10. De Jackson says:

Oh!
    I LOVE this fresh, positive take! 🙂 Excellent!
    De Jackson recently posted..Diminishing ReturnsMy Profile

11. Kay says:

I’m so glad they survived! And I’m impressed – I have had trouble keeping plants happy in their natural environments, so you must be quite the sunflower whisperer. Do you play them music, talk to them, sing to them? I really like your last line; I think it solidifies your presentation of the sunflowers as sentient beings aware of their surroundings, struggling, and laughing.
    Kay recently posted..Who dunnit? Starting my week with the Yeah Write GargleblasterMy Profile

Thanks for your thoughts. They just had a crappy unfinished section of the basement next to the furnace. They deserve all the credit 🙂

12. tn kerr says:

I like that these 42 conveyed a happy ending!

13. Laith says:

Wow. Well written and a really good use of the prompt. Took the prompt a completely different direction than I did.
    Laith recently posted..ExpectationsMy Profile

14. Catherine says:

Ooh, you’ve just reminded me that I have some sunflower seeds around here somewhere that need to be planted!
    Catherine recently posted..A Day At The FarmMy Profile

15. I enjoyed your topic. I’m glad the sunflowers survived. I planted orange trees last winter. They did not make it. Learned a good lesson.
    Ann Bennett (@AnnBennett12) recently posted..Flea Market DreamsMy Profile

16. I love this! Sunflowers in the winter. The determination and triumph of nature.
    Suzanne Purkis recently posted..Birthday wishes (or, what yeah write means to me)My Profile

17. Sarah Ann says:

Beautiful descriptions. I love the last stanza when the world makes sense. 🙂
    Sarah Ann recently posted..#FiveSentenceFiction – WhimsicalMy Profile

18. I love sunflowers. I’m actually thinking of planting some this spring but don’t want to put anything in the ground until the end of this month. Stopping in from SITS share fest.
    All Talk Entertainment recently posted..Bravo TV’s Southern CharmMy Profile

19. Pingback: Attack of the killer squirrel | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

20. Pingback: Ode to the Gargleblaster | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish