Birds Suddenly Appear

The Raven
Image by Bill Strain (Creative Commons)

Feeding pigeons,
they surround me,
their gentle coos replaced by
my desperate shrieks.

Making a sandcastle,
the seagulls gather darkly,
so I flee.

I’m calm in nature,
until birds suddenly appear,
all because of a film
Hitchcock made
before I was born.

In response to the Gargleblaster challenge, I had 42 words to answer the question, “Why do birds suddenly appear?”

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Birds Suddenly Appear

1. Nortonmum says:

Brilliant, that film is still scary.
    Nortonmum recently posted..Gargleblaster #160- 42 word storyMy Profile

Yes, so creepy. I think what scared me the most was that there wasn’t any reason. Birds have always seemed up to something sinister ever since I saw it.

2. Mridubala says:

That’s scary!
    My short story for a contest,if you like please VOTE – http://tlng.me/1fhAn8H
    Mridubala recently posted..Don’t you see them ?My Profile

3. Kay says:

Great poem! I like how “the seagulls gather darkly” gives us a sense of foreboding, since we know you aren’t referring to their colour.
    Kay recently posted..Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: Are we sending our kids to increasingly fatal schools, or are school homicides on the decline?My Profile

4. Jen says:

I was a little weary of blackbirds, myself after I saw that movie! lol This was creative!
    Jen recently posted..Thieving BirdsMy Profile

5. Madhura says:

I was growing increasingly uncomfortable, till you mentioned the movie! great take on the prompt!
    Madhura recently posted..Universe in meMy Profile

6. Karen says:

My mom is terrified of birds because of that film too. I like the path you chose to take with the prompt, and I love that picture.
    Karen recently posted..When I Grow Up. . .My Profile

My mom was too–that reinforced how scary I thought they were when I was a kid. (I probably shouldn’t have been watching such a scary movie when I was little, I guess.)

7. theinnerzone says:

Love the creative take on the prompt. The picture adds a great touch!

8. Kir says:

I have never seen that movie and I doubt I ever will, because I don’t want to be scared.

Birds are hard to love for sure, and your piece gave voice to that. Great job with the prompt.
    Kir recently posted..Feeding Da Boirds {Gargleblaster: Yeah Write}My Profile

9. Nice take on the prompt. I was reminded me of Hitchcock’s film, too. 🙂
    SusanWritesPrecise recently posted..BreakfastMy Profile

10. Gina says:

My first thoughts AFTER the song was the movie. Large, and close, flocks of birds are pretty freaky. This was nicely done!
    Gina recently posted..Yeah Write Garblebuster: Every Time I See a CrowMy Profile

11. Geeta Nair says:

Great poem Marcy. Good I haven’t seen that film. I love birds. They are so soft and sweet unlike some animals. Can’t think of them as anything else.

12. Shailaja V says:

Oh I remember that film! Thank God I have no bad associations as a consequence 🙂 But, this was brilliantly done, Marcy!

Shailaja’s post

13. A Writer says:

You old a lot in just 42 words..that is awesome and perfect answer..:)

14. Sue says:

I did see the original – and while not normally scared of films that one did – especially since it was spring and swarms of birds were around when we walked home. Loved the piece !
    Sue recently posted..Time for Blogophilia 11.7My Profile

I think part of what made it so scary is that birds are so commonly in the background, unnoticed, but the movie made them menacing. Thanks for your comment.

15. It’s a movie that sticks with you, that’s for sure. Great job here.
    De Jackson (Whimsy Gizmo) recently posted..A World Without SelfiesMy Profile