Lost in a Funhouse

8600960717_9957bf9650_z
Image by Donnie Nunley (Creative Commons)

My distorted reflection pauses
as the floor rolls beneath me,
the carnival music
punctuated by gasps.

Around another corner,
the narrow passageway
turns dingy, cluttered,
until I interrupt
two guys, off duty,
sharing a joint.

Who else gets lost in a funhouse?

I set up a Gargleblaster page: 42.

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Lost in a Funhouse

1. Jen says:

This is great! I love the imagery. Carnivals, funhouses, all that stuff is so creepy!
    Jen recently posted..Who Am I?My Profile

2. Wow, wonderfully visual.
    Jennifer Knoblock recently posted..One WayMy Profile

3. Jetgirl says:

Ooh..yes the “floor rolls beneath me”…it really conjures up the feeling of being there. I like this!
    Jetgirl recently posted..Which Way to Go?My Profile

4. Sue says:

cleaver and fun – well it is a fun house!
    Sue recently posted..The DoorMy Profile

5. Karen says:

Hahaha – me, I get lost in a funhouse.

This is perfect.
    Karen recently posted..GoosebumpsMy Profile

6. Nortonmum says:

Haha, I like this.
    Nortonmum recently posted..Walk to school, can you do it?My Profile

7. Christine says:

I’m always a little worried that once I go in I won’t come back out. 🙂 I love the details in this piece – you paint a very vivid picture, from the distorted mirrors to the two scruffy guys in the back. Great job! Thanks for linking up.
    Christine recently posted..The Only Way OutMy Profile

I got lost in a corn maze one time, too, and did feel like I would never find my way out. My (young at the time) kids finally found me and guided me out. I could tell stories about getting lost every week, I think.

8. CC says:

What a FUN post 🙂 Fun houses can be less than fun when you get totally turned around and can’t find the exit out of those dark, dingy passageways!
    CC recently posted..PennedMy Profile

9. Shailaja V says:

I never guessed that last line, despite it being the title of the piece! Now THAT is clever writing 🙂 Quite scary, but it’s all good in the end. Nice work, Marcy 🙂
    Shailaja V recently posted..The way to goMy Profile

10. Nice take on the prompt!
    SusanWritesPrecise recently posted..NewsflashMy Profile

11. Atreyee says:

Fun read and scary too but as long as I don’t have to go in there,its great ;-)Cool take Marcy 😀
    Atreyee recently posted..Carpe Diem Tan Renga Challenge #35, Managua’s “let the ravens come”My Profile

12. Catherine says:

Haha, love it! Who else indeed.
    Catherine recently posted..Enjoying York On A BudgetMy Profile

13. Nate says:

I’m always afraid of getting lost in fun houses and cornfield mazes, so the gasps punctuating the carnival music made this scene come to life. Good stuff yet again, Marcy!
    Nate recently posted..Crossing Saint ClairMy Profile

14. Juliann says:

Love the picture and the poem. Especially the last lines.
    Juliann recently posted..My 5 Road Trip EssentialsMy Profile