A Shutter’s Click

boy at lunch

Sometimes,
in a shutter’s click,
the camera sees all the way through,

while life swirls around,
a coursing river of distraction,
and the child keeps changing,
sometimes distant, deceitful,

yet that moment remains,
a record of grace,
a testament of love,

sometimes.

Dan Colorado National Monument

Boy with tiger collage

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to A Shutter’s Click

1. Susan Shuman says:

Very nice, Marcy. I love this one.
    Susan Shuman recently posted..Precious & GraceMy Profile

2. Wise words. I loved the metaphors you used. How did you do that?! 😉

3. Jen says:

awww this was really beautiful!
    Jen recently posted..La ChatteMy Profile

4. Karen says:

This is really beautiful, Marcy. I love the part about the camera seeing all the way through.
    Karen recently posted..Seeking GraceMy Profile

5. I love the repetition of the “sometimes.” And that second stanza…oh, yes. You take us through a beautiful journey in these few words.
    Jennifer Knoblock recently posted..Grace SpeakingMy Profile

Yes, a journey. When I used to look back on my childhood, it seems like it lasted so long, but my two sons are only a year apart, and their childhood years were so brief.

6. Nortonmum says:

Really enjoyed this, watching my boy go through changes now.
    Nortonmum recently posted..What?My Profile

7. Stacie says:

Very sweet and how true!
    Stacie recently posted..Loved and CherishedMy Profile

8. maria says:

You’ve captured your boys, Marcy, in photo and verse. Beautiful! Maria
    maria recently posted..Celebrating Our GraduateMy Profile

9. Abby says:

Sweet! Words AND pics!

10. Meg says:

Marcy, I love this. It is precious and tender and fine. Great stuff.
    Meg recently posted..Bragging on my HusbandMy Profile

11. Archita says:

Beautiful, Marcy!
    Archita recently posted..AnniversaryMy Profile

12. Sweet photos, sweet words!
    KymmInBarcelona recently posted..Idle ThreatsMy Profile

13. Genna says:

Beautiful Marcy!! I love the photograph bookends and well-crafted message.
    Genna recently posted..gargleblaster: did Grace say that, too?My Profile

14. Delightful! ‘.. a record of grace, a testament of love..’ – so well expressed.

15. Bjorn says:

Very tender — very sweet… a mother’s love
    Bjorn recently posted..classic education – for dVerseMy Profile

16. Nathan James says:

the bookended “sometimes” gives me the impression that this is an observation that happens again and again. So thoughtful, Marcy, I’m a big fan!
    Nathan James recently posted..First PartyMy Profile

Thanks, Nathan! I do think about it a lot. I love photos and have a slideshow on my computer that flips through old photos in random order. One will catch me unawares and have a big impact.

17. Christine says:

Oh, I know this feeling so well. My boys are 3 and 5, and I feel like they’re already slipping away. My camera is my last-ditch effort to hold onto them. Very evocative, touching piece, Marcy. Thanks for sharing it!
    Christine recently posted..BloodingMy Profile

18. Love it! 🙂
    Shannon ~ My Place in the Race recently posted..Concerts in the ParkMy Profile

19. Katie says:

I realize that this post is about poetry, but I must say that your son looks so much like you (just from seeing you via your blog)!
    Katie recently posted..Get a Flat Belly In 10 MinutesMy Profile

20. Catherine says:

Aw, cute photos! Love the little poem too.
    Catherine recently posted..Palais Het Loo: Home of The Dutch RoyaltyMy Profile