Caged Tiger

Tiger in Thailand

Our fear keeps us
from sharp eyes, sharper claws,
yet her magnificence calls.

As she rests, we cuddle her,
lay our heads on her soft belly.

She raises her quiet head
in dignity, defying her imprisonment,
and we’re freed from our fear.

Pet a tiger in Thailand Lost in a Funhouse collage

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Caged Tiger

1. Erica M says:

Seriously, was she sedated?? I’ll take my answer off the phone and way over there.
    Erica M recently posted..27 phones in the name of scienceMy Profile

I don’t think they were sedated, but I don’t know for sure. It was very hot, and tigers sleep a lot in the day naturally, and she was sleeping when we first met her. When the tigers were awake and looking around, they looked very alert. Ours started tearing apart a coconut, and she was very lively!

2. Susan Shuman says:

How I would love to cuddle with a tiger. Lovely writing!
    Susan Shuman recently posted..Uncaged MelodyMy Profile

3. The magnificence of fear DOES call – I love that image! And tigers are so cute. I know they’re dangerous beings and all that, but I keep thinking of Life of Pi…haha, I know that’s NOT the same.
    Natalie – The Cat Lady Sings recently posted..Into the VoidMy Profile

4. Such beauty, but at same time, so fearful. I guess that’s what Blake must have been thinking when he wrote his poem.
    jacquelinecaseypoetry recently posted..Maya AngelouMy Profile

5. The dignity, despite everything. Love that.
    Jennifer Knoblock recently posted..SongMy Profile

6. Zoos, good or bad? Can’t decide.
    Paul Clements recently posted..Yeah Write #164 Gargleblaster – Office PoliticsMy Profile

7. Love how you brought it around at the end to that great closing line.

8. Stacie says:

Tigers are so beautiful but yikes!
    Stacie recently posted..Behind A BookcaseMy Profile

9. OH, big kitties – Love!
    Jennifer Hall recently posted..AuditionMy Profile

10. Nate says:

Lovely, Marcy, especially the line “in dignity, defying her imprisonment.”
    Nate recently posted..Mr. Lewis’s Love AffairMy Profile

11. Jen says:

I love this. Did you feel your fear lift during or after your visit was over? I think I would be utterly terrified. But they are such gorgeous creatures!
    Jen recently posted..20 Minute StreamMy Profile

I felt it lift once the tiger started looking around and chewing a coconut. She didn’t seem bothered by us at all.

12. Shailaja V says:

Sharp eyes, sharper calls– oh that’s a powerful phrase! I like the blend of wariness and experimentation here, Marcy!

Shailaja’s post

13. Marcy says:

Wariness and experimentation–nice phrase! That could be the title of my memoir 🙂
    Marcy recently posted..Ode to the GargleblasterMy Profile

14. She is absolutely beautiful but oh my goodness you guys were snuggling with a tiger.
    Michelle Longo recently posted..Brain Cage.My Profile

15. Meg says:

What I would give to experience that without fear. Thanks for sharing this, Marcy.
    Meg recently posted..Balancing on a Shock WaveMy Profile

16. karen says:

beautiful creature, I’d be too scared. WOW!
    karen recently posted..Dinosaur POOP for Dinner???My Profile

17. Catherine says:

I am so jealous right now! Would love to have a cheeky cuddle with a tiger 🙂
    Catherine recently posted..Photo Essay: The Gardens of ApelternMy Profile

18. maria says:

I’ve pet a baby tiger before, but this is way cool. Really enjoyed going back to the linked post as well. You are certainly making life a fun adventure. Enjoy.
    Maria @ “http://delightdirectedliving.blogspot.com/”