Fitbit to be Tied, Part 1

I was only two or three minutes into David Sedaris’s piece about his love for the Fitbit when I knew I had found it — the new gimmick that would motivate me out of my lethargy and get me moving again.

Last year, I had gotten so obsessed with keeping up my streak of walking 10,000 steps a day (for 1,043 days!) that I forced myself to break the streak. Then, my fear that I would instantly become a couch potato again was realized. The couch and I enjoyed our months together, to be sure, but some extra pounds joined us, my mood sunk, and my motivation vanished. All or nothing, how I hate it.

One winter years ago, I had started walking every day on a treadmill, when I relished “Sex and the City” reruns alone in my basement, a little me-time at the end of a busy day.

Who knows how my brain works, but just seeing online that my Fitbit is in transit was enough to get me into the woods, donning my earbuds and stepping over twisted roots as confidently as Carrie Bradshaw traipsing through the streets of Manhattan in her silliest hat.

'Sex and The City: The Movie' film premiere, London, Britain - 12 May 2008(Photo by Rex Features)

I paused to admiringly watch a Labrador retriever splashing in a muddy stream, admiringly, that is, until a minute later when it snuck up behind me and shook itself off all over me. I let out a scream and am pretty sure I looked like that same Carrie Bradshaw getting drenched by the bus in the opening credits.

Carrie Bradshaw splash (Source: sarahjparker.com)

Well, maybe not quite like that, but you get the idea.

At the end of the same walk, my husband and son were waiting for me in a pavilion and saw me bopping by, earbuds still in,  oblivious. My son snuck up behind me and scared me. I screamed, a terrified monster-is-attacking-me scream.

A man in a nearby pickup truck witnessed the whole thing. “I tried to warn you,” he said. “That calls for a punch in the head.”

I declined, but the man had a point.

Why in middle age I had to again relearn that regular exercise has its benefits I will never know, but I am ready to adorn my wrist with a geeky bracelet and wait for the magic to happen.

I’ll just have to be careful not to get a streak going.

{Update: Fitbit to be Tied, Part 2}

You may also like:

Any Fitbit fans out there? Any advice?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Fitbit to be Tied, Part 1

1. Natalie D says:

Love the Sex and the City references, especially since I’m rewatching the whole series as I pack up my house to move. I go in and out of exercise fads, too, trying (and usually failing) to find something I like. So far, walking is the only thing that I can physically do for free.
    Natalie D recently posted..On your way to steal my mermaid, eh?My Profile

2. I’m still looking for my gimmick.
    But, hey, look at you! Not only are you back on track to keep fit, here you are on the challenge grid!
    that cynking feeling recently posted..office politicsMy Profile

3. ha! i read that too. i have a friend is obsessed as well, although maybe not as much as mr. sedaris.

We’ll see how it goes. David Sedaris is REALLY into it. I want to try not to go overboard because then I eventually burn out.

4. Abby says:

I, of the formerly “I don’t need no stinkin’ app/gadget!” always have to check my latest stats from my bicyling app. Funny how that happens. And I love the concept of the FitBit, and have been waiting for a reliable source to tell me what they think. You MUST tell us what you think!

Funny about the bicycling app. I went through a few different training episodes for 5Ks, and I loved looking at the data, but then sometimes I would catch myself feeling bummed that my run wasn’t as good as I thought it was–ughh. I can see where having no tracker can be better, too. I’ll give an update on how it’s going.

5. TMW Hickman says:

Good luck with that! I need to get back into the groove myself.
    TMW Hickman recently posted..The Tooth Fairy Cometh?My Profile

6. Jetgirl says:

Yep. Love the fitbit. Plus, my Curves gym has a thing during the summer where you keep track of your steps and you can enter a drawing if you get enough of them. I’m a sucker for stuff like that! Great post! Can’t believe you did 1043 days in a row! Happy walking 🙂
    Jetgirl recently posted..S’il Vous Plaît, pourriez-vous m’aider? – Speakeasy #168My Profile

What a cool idea for your gym. I have heard of people making groups at work to compete for steps per month. Thanks.

7. Joe says:

My gimmick is Cultfit Crossfit.
    Joe recently posted..Here We Go Again!My Profile

8. Jen says:

I have never heard of fitbit nor have I read the article but now I’m going to check out both! 🙂 Love the Sex and the City references!
    Jen recently posted..Buzzin’ WheelersMy Profile

9. Marcy – it is so great to see you on the grid! Maybe I need a fitbit to get my butt off the couch too. Although I have no history of exercising to look back fondly upon…
    Cindy – The Reedster Speaks recently posted..Comment on No Caillou, Bald is Not the New Black. by SarvsterMy Profile

10. I am never better than when I am exercising every day. Also, I loooove Sex and the City reruns!
    Samantha Brinn Merel recently posted..Today Is Somebody’s Birthday…My Profile

11. Diane says:

Wow – I admire you for doing 10,000 steps for more than a thousand days! Very impressive.

You’ll love the Fitbit! I’ve worn mine every day (and night) since it arrived as my Christmas present last year – and am totally hooked. You can even “friend” someone else with one and cheer (or jeer) them on. Let me know if you want to friend me and we can get some competition going!

To read about my Fitbit experiences, see http://thoughtstipsandtales.wordpress.com/2014/05/22/fun-with-fitbit/.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the link–I liked reading about your experience. Yeah, let’s “friend” each other on it. That would be fun. (I’m sure I’ll learn how once I get my Fitbit.)

12. Gina says:

I have several friends with “the bracelet” on. All have done quite well with their fitness goals. I once did a huge S&TC marathon. I love that show!!!
    Gina recently posted..People Who Spoil All the Fun: Yeah WriteMy Profile

13. I really want a fitbit, but I can’t bring myself to get one. I love things like that to keep me motivated!
    Michelle Longo recently posted..I Got Invited to a Friend’s House!My Profile

I used to keep a simple pedometer in my pocket, and I really liked that. I’m in such a funk now, though, I think I need something more dramatic 🙂

14. Christie says:

I want one too! They are pretty geeky, but I’m ready to geek out. It’s top of my birthday present list!!!

15. Katie says:

I’ve just gotten hip to the Fitbit phenomenon. Still looking into it, but am definitely intrigued!
    Katie recently posted..Get a Flat Belly In 10 MinutesMy Profile

16. Jack says:

That damn FitBit is making me crazy, but I love it. I routinely break 10k but I feel the need to really push myself to double or triple it.

Of course I am trying to figure out when I’ll have the time to make that happen. These things are addictive.
    Jack recently posted..Ten Minutes On A Saturday NightMy Profile

Congrats on all the activity! I can break 10K pretty easily on the days I play tennis, but it takes some effort on the other days. I have been enjoying it so far, and I find the sleep tracking interesting too.

17. Pingback: Fitbit to be Tied, Part 2 | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish