Waters of Indifference

Little Skellig Ireland

I trawl through waters of indifference
to teach twelve-year-olds of Sirens,
but what do they know of longing?

Sneaking gum into class,
or texts at lockers,
they ride the waves of their impulses,

but can’t imagine
a lure that could destroy them.

#18 of 42 (Gargleblaster page)

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Waters of Indifference

1. Mercy, Marcy! I love the way you elevate the mundanity of teaching of middle schoolers into lovely poetry.
    that cynking feeling recently posted..there is no Nobel Prize for motherhoodMy Profile

2. Ah, the innocence of youth! Like your inner monologue here on what sounds like an otherwise mundane day in the classroom.
    Glasgowdragonfly recently posted..Tales of the City: Park Bench (strong language)My Profile

3. Esther says:

It is so true — what we can’t even imagine when we’re that young. Or what we think of as longing that is in retrospect play. I love this.
    Esther recently posted..I thought it was — Yeah Write #172 gargleblasterMy Profile

4. TNKerr says:

This was lovely Marcy. Without a doubt one of the finest Gargleblasters I have ever read!
    Really liked it!

5. Tina says:

Brilliantly done. Middle schoolers have no clue, but they sure do think they know how the world works, don’t they?

6. Joe says:

Their day of awaking is not far off.
    Joe recently posted..Free Will: A Philosophical DiscussionMy Profile

7. Mridubala says:

Well done… all those mundane things plus, the good, care-free times of life…empathizing with a teacher and a middle-schooler. :-)
    Mridubala recently posted..Feline troublesMy Profile

8. Such wise words, beautifully said.
    Love Happy Notes recently posted..Behold the FlapdoodleMy Profile

9. Bill Dameron says:

Sounds like my daughters, as much as I try to teach them…..
    Bill Dameron recently posted..Sheila’s Secret SauceMy Profile

10. Karen says:

“But what do they know of longing?” – pure perfection. I am always moved by your gargleblasters, Marcy.

11. Marissa Bergen says:

This is so beautiful Marcy, so eloquently put, and so true!

12. Jenn Berney says:

This is great! I’m guessing soon enough they’ll learn about lures that can destroy them.
    Jenn Berney recently posted..Annoying Rules that Just Might Save UsMy Profile

13. Melanie L says:

Lovely and so true. I thought I knew it all back then. Now I realize I still know nothing at all least of all impulse control!