Abandon All Subtlety

MIxtape

Languishing in a boring bank,
we talked music for hours
and grew close through mixtapes
we shyly exchanged.

From “Purple Haze”
to “Dixie Chicken,”
friendship crept toward
something more.

How’d my next one end?
“Why Don’t We Do It in the Road?”

Related:

#19 of 42 (Gargleblaster page, with my favorite comments and Gargleblasters from the grid) What is a Gargleblaster? Respond to a prompt in exactly 42 words.

This entry was posted in Music and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Abandon All Subtlety

1. Natalie D says:

I love this one. You have quite mastered the gargleblaster, I think. :)
    Natalie D recently posted..Moving ThoughtsMy Profile

2. I remember your first mixtape story. This is a perfect coda!
    that cynking feeling recently posted..ringing phones, wringing handsMy Profile

3. TNKerr says:

You took me by surprise with this one Marcy. Well done!

4. Shailaja V says:

Quite a masterful execution, Marcy! I actually read it twice to savour the experience of that mix tape scene :)
    Shailaja V recently posted..Luminous- #FiveSentenceFictionMy Profile

5. Romance by mix-tape, a delightful gargleblaster. A story in 42 words. Well done!
    Love Happy Notes recently posted..Let your Light Shine!My Profile

6. Nathan James says:

I’m hoping that pic is one of the shyly exchanged mixed tapes you received. I went back and read your first mixtape story. Is it weird that I’m kinda in love with your husband myself?
    Nathan James recently posted..I didn’t want to be related to him anyway.My Profile

7. Cumulus says:

I don’t know, I’m beginning to wonder just how timid and squeamish you really were before you started this blog.

Fair point, I guess. I was timid about a lot of certain things–meeting new people, trying new things, doing things by myself, socializing, heights, athletics, germs…. I could go on and on. I didn’t have time to explain in the 42 words, but the end of the tape was not to be taken literally, but yeah, it wasn’t too timid. :)

8. Pingback: Love in a Mixtape | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

9. My husband wooed me with custom CDs. And he had — has — really great taste in music. Loved this one from you.
    That Unique* Weblog recently posted..Save Me: Comfort Music by QueenMy Profile