I Peppered His Feet

Reading the classics

I explained an idiom,
but he brushed me off,
pretending he’d already learned it.

‘Cause he knew it all,
that old Swiss boyfriend.

My greatest victory:
He told a new friend,
“That really peppers my feet”
and thought it was perfect English.

One of my favorite scenes featuring another know-it-all, although apparently he really did know it all, from Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

(Video link)

#20 (Gargleblaster page, with my favorite comments and Gargleblasters from the grid) What is a Gargleblaster? Respond to a prompt in exactly 42 words.

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to I Peppered His Feet

1. Silverleaf says:

Love the Monty Python bit! The know-it-alls really irk me, too, so I can understand how fulfilling it would have been to hear him come out with that. It’s a good saying, maybe it will catch on!
    Silverleaf recently posted..Monkey SpeedMy Profile

2. Abby says:

So, I’m sitting here wondering what he was actually trying to express!

3. Jen says:

I love Monty Python, this was great, Marcy!
    Jen recently posted..O Robin! My Robin!My Profile

4. Sarah Ann Hall says:

I think I might have to start using that. ‘That really peppers my feet,’ keeps bringing a smile to my face :)

5. Eilidh Thain says:

Know-it-alls really do pepper my feet! I think I like this phrase! I once tried to introduce the work “Concorde” as something awesome or cool i.e., “Man, that band was really totally Concorde.” It didn’t stick and then there was some kind of crash and it took on a different meaning.

Anyway, I totally thought your gargleblaster was Concorde (before crash)! Good work, TiV
    Eilidh Thain recently posted..Flash Fiction Challenge – Prompt 33My Profile

Thanks, TiV–love your use of this hot new phrase! Although I guess it’s been spreading through Switzerland all these many years. Concorde!

6. This is the line that keeps making me smile: “‘Cause he knew it all,
    that old Swiss boyfriend.” p.s. I LOVE your photo at the top! :)
    Jennifer Knoblock recently posted..How Poetry Saved My Life (in London)My Profile

7. I’ve got to say that really peppers my feet, mostly because I’m not sure where my Fancy is, but I’m sure I’ll be tickle-giggling and tickled pink once I find it. :-D Great work.
    Love Happy Notes recently posted..LOOK UP TO LOVEMy Profile

8. Blake says:

I was intrigued by the title and the wry humour of the poem didn’t disappoint :)
    Blake recently posted..The UnspeakableMy Profile

9. hahaha, love it. I feel like that’s a phrase that could really catch on. I’ve a friend that takes such phrases too literally. I wonder what he would make of it…
    Renada Styles recently posted..Off-White 08/12/14My Profile

There are so many phrases that don’t translate well. If he brought it back to Switzerland and said it in French, I wonder what it would translate back to in English.

10. Nathan James says:

I had a boyfriend like that. I spent all day trying to think of ways to take him down a notch. That relationship went the same way as you and your Swiss beau. I enjoyed the confident and droll voice in this most, Marcy.
    Nathan James recently posted..CrannogMy Profile

11. Tina says:

Hahaha! Exactly what I would do!
    Tina recently posted..Is It Time For School Already??My Profile

12. Happy to see you found a way to use the prompt. Happier still that the know-it-all got what he deserved.
    that cynking feeling recently posted..Surgery by the numbersMy Profile