Pura Vida Cruise

Dolphin Costa Rica

We ignored dark clouds in the distance,
snorkeled drenched in sunshine,
cheered dolphins that torpedoed by.

The sky blackened
and unleashed a whirlwind,
thunderclaps and lightning
booming, slamming, smashing.

I cowered,
but they cranked the music
and danced Salsa on the deck.

Related posts:

#21 of 42 (Gargleblaster page)

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Pura Vida Cruise

1. TNKerr says:

Dancing on the wet decks in the rain. Now that’s livin’. La pura vida indeed.
    This is really good Marcy.

2. Tina says:

I would have cowered a bit, too!
    Tina recently posted..Too LateMy Profile

Yeah, but the others really lifted my mood in a hurry. It was surreal to feel fear change to happiness so quickly. (OK, still with some fear in there.)

3. For some reason, this made me think of “Nero fiddled while Rome burned.” I guess everyone thought if the music was loud enough, they would be okay. Obviously it turned out okay since you are alive to write, but it sounds scary to me!
    that cynking feeling recently posted..it was supposed to be simpleMy Profile

Yes, I think for the crew, they had seen similar storms many times and knew what to expect, and then the passengers followed their lead. It was a cool experience.

4. Mridubala says:

Given the situation, I would have done the same as you…glad you added Costa Rican waves to the prompt :-)
    Mridubala recently posted..The cleansingMy Profile

5. Electric storms are scary but also beautiful – I think I would have been up there dancing too with a dark & stormy in hand! When I first read this, I thought it was going to end with the snorklers stranded out at sea, no one hearing their cries for help – but im relieved you got back on board ok! Enjoyed this v much!
    Glasgowdragonfly recently posted..Have you ever seen the rain?My Profile

They are beautiful! The thunder was SO loud, though–I don’t know if the water could have made it sound louder or what, but it was the loudest I have ever heard. Thanks.

6. Susan Shuman says:

I like this a lot. Love the torpedoing dolphins…and the whole thing, actually! :-)
    Susan Shuman recently posted..The DietMy Profile

7. Nathan James says:

That sounds exhilarating, but I’d probably be cowering too. At least until I grew my sea legs!
    Nathan James recently posted..Comin’ Down On a Sunny DayMy Profile

8. Christine says:

You’ve got some really nice imagery throughout, but I LOVE that last stanza. Nice work!
    Christine recently posted..FloodMy Profile

9. Silverleaf says:

I worry about everything and can always see the worst coming over the horizon. So I hear you! I love that the music and dancing swept you up and made everything ok.
    Silverleaf recently posted..What I learned from sending my boy away to campMy Profile

10. Great write, and the way you use words is awesome. Sounds like such fun until the cower-inducing-thunder comes, but then dancing the Salsa can make anyone happy.
    Love Happy Notes recently posted..You are GiftedMy Profile

11. Dancing salsa in a storm, brilliant. I love this line: “snorkeled drenched in sunshine.”
    Jennifer Knoblock recently posted..5 pm, Tuscan-dreamingMy Profile

12. ywcourtenay says:

Great sense of foreboding! Who can’t say they’ve danced on despite a gathering storm?
    ywcourtenay recently posted..On Single MotherhoodMy Profile

13. Sarah Ann says:

That was some storm! Love the descriptions of its slamming and smashing. Perhaps the only thing to do is turn up the music and enjoy the view.

14. Jetgirl says:

Oh, I like this one very much! Indeed, if the music is loud enough, you can ignore the thunder and enjoy the lightning show :-)
    Jetgirl recently posted..7 — Sept — 7My Profile