An Invader Crept

View from hotel Todra Gorge Morocco

I’d thought my boys
were locked in snug
against that hostile land,
and sleep in the empty night
would restore us,
but they hadn’t been secure;
an invader crept.

Crushed under an angry heel,
the menace turned to dust;
my dread lingered.

Scorpion Todra Gorge Morocco

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to An Invader Crept

1. Yikes!
    Michelle Longo recently posted..I Know What I Saw.My Profile

2. Melanie L says:

Oh man. I might have been too creeped out. Can they sting through your shoe?
    Melanie L recently posted..Irish TwinsMy Profile

3. Stacie says:

Ewww. Scorpions are so creepy. We found a couple in our rental on St. John a few years ago. I was freaked out!
    Stacie recently posted..Once Upon A Night Before Air ConditioningMy Profile

4. Jo-Anne Teal says:

Yikes! But, besides the creepy crawly, I enjoyed this write, Marcy. The first line has such a nice cadence. Sets us up for the rest of the story :))

5. Guess everyone hates them. Sly creatures.

6. Eeewwwww. *shivers* Love the dread lingering…
    KymmInBarcelona recently posted..Laws of MotionMy Profile

This was a low point in the trip for us–illnesses, homesickness, culture shock. That scorpion felt like the last straw for me. Thanks.

7. Meg says:

Ack! This prompt is reminding me of the one about something crawling. Though the visitor is a creepy one, you did a stunning job of leading up to it. You show such motherly concern: “I’d thought my boys
    were locked in snug
    against that hostile land,”
    Meg recently posted..Waiting for Father to ReturnMy Profile

8. Karen says:

Scorpions totally freak me out! I love your title. An Invader Crept is perfectly descriptive. Karen

9. Love Happy Notes says:

I think I’d be worried too! Nice write.

10. TNKerr says:

And yet you paused to take a photograph. Nothing timid or squeamish about you Marcy. A well written gargleblaster and fun to read!

11. Geeta Nair says:

Aww! Frightful. Can just imagine what would have happened if it stung someone. Lovely post Marcy.
    Geeta Nair recently posted..Wheel of TimeMy Profile

12. Great job of weaving that sense of unease throughout, and conveying the sense of wanting to protect your loved ones. (We used to get scorpions in our TX house–for years afterward I would always shake my shoes upside down and knock my hats against something before putting them on. *shivers*)
    Jennifer Knoblock recently posted..September (May)fliesMy Profile

13. Jen says:

oh man yucky!!! That must have been scary.
    Jen recently posted..Questioning FaithMy Profile

14. Nice and tense – my dread would have lingered too.

15. Nate says:

I don’t think I’d have the presence of mind to take its picture. I’d be down in the hotel manager’s face in a heartbeat!

16. Tina says:

Once you find a scorpion, you get a bit paranoid that they’re all over the place. And they are, actually. We usually only find parts of the scorpions, however. We have cats.

17. Catherine says:

Eek! I do not think I could have coped with this, far too creepy!
    Catherine recently posted..And The Winner Is…My Profile

18. I have a scorpion encased in lucite which I purchased while visiting a cousin in Arizona. It sits on a little curio shelf now.
    I added your blog to the sidebar links at http://poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com as I’ve enjoyed reading your poems and other thoughts, and I think my Poetry of the Netherworld teammates will enjoy them too!
    Aurora Hylton recently posted..Gargleblaster: The Demiurge Responds to the Ultimate QuestionMy Profile