It wasn’t the horses

David Jan Dan fireworks display photo

Decades of tension evaporated
when she loved her grandchildren,
my children, so she came along
to the dude ranch with us.

She thought the horses caused her backache.
It wasn’t the horses.

So, newly close,
I could help her die,
in peace.

Jan horseback riding 2004

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to It wasn’t the horses

1. Mridubala says:

Touchy one, I hope that’s your in-law!
    Mridubala recently posted..Life is all about your headsetMy Profile

2. I can’t say I didn’t get along with my mother-in-law (R.I.P.) but I can’t say I got along with her either. She was a difficult person to get to know. She and my father-in-law were always very staid and proper.
    I enjoyed reading your piece.
    Aurora Hylton recently posted..Gargleblaster: The Demiurge Responds to the Ultimate QuestionMy Profile

3. Shailaja V says:

That must be the best way to leave, surrounded by the ones you love. Sorry for your loss, Marcy. May she rest in peace.

4. I’m glad you were able to become close once more before she passed. I’m sorry for your loss.
    that cynking feeling recently posted..SisyphusMy Profile

5. Sorry for your loss, Marcy.
    Love Happy Notes recently posted..Another point of viewMy Profile

6. Stacie says:

So sorry for your loss, Marcy. So difficult after just reconnecting.
    Stacie recently posted..Crowded HeadMy Profile

7. Katy B. says:

Awww, very touching. Well done.
    Katy B. recently posted..2014 Women Challenge self-reminderMy Profile

8. Tina says:

Such a beautiful portrayal. I loved the simplicity of this.
    Tina recently posted..Battle PlansMy Profile

9. Silverleaf says:

This is heartbreaking and poignant. Your lovely words reveal the bittersweet in this sad time.
    Silverleaf recently posted..What Time Takes AwayMy Profile

10. Jen says:

How hard that must have been for you to finally connect and then tragedy strikes. I’m so sorry. 🙁
    Jen recently posted..Cigars and BrandyMy Profile

11. Marcy says:

Thank you for all the kind words.

12. I love the way you opened this, Marcy, as a counterweight to the tragic end.
    I’m very sorry for your loss.
    KymmInBarcelona recently posted..The Way of A ManMy Profile

13. Abby says:

This is a sad one. But also nice.