Karma in a Plastic Bag

She said
releasing the creatures
would make merit,
a boon for our souls
for under a dollar.

Freed from plastic,
they spread into the water
like goodness into the world.

But would she recapture them
early tomorrow,
so the cycle could repeat?

Instant Karma Gargleblaster

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Karma in a Plastic Bag

1. I’m guessing you didn’t get a chance to return and see if anyone was paying to release the same critters again.
    that cynking feeling recently posted..the tellMy Profile

No, I didn’t, but I think that might be the case. In a different area, I saw something similar going on with little caged birds, and my guide told me that the birds do return and get released again.

2. Clare says:

Love it, Marcy. I didn’t even need the pictures to know what you were talking about! I guess you can just consider it the same as cows coming in from pasture each night?
    Clare recently posted..The Young ArtistMy Profile

3. I love everything about this! From the title to the poetry to the story itself – one of my favorite reads today. Where did this take place?

4. Stacie says:

How fun that you could tie the prompt into a cool experience in Thailand.
    Stacie recently posted..Full Of LifeMy Profile

5. Love the title! So telling of our modern guilt and how we assuage it. Great post!
    KymmInBarcelona recently posted..CrushMy Profile

It was so interesting to learn about this practice. My guide said that it wasn’t just for the tourists, but that local people participate in it too for building good karma. I couldn’t quite wrap my mind around it because doesn’t paying to release the creatures contribute to their capture, which would build bad karma? Thanks for your comment.

6. Tina says:

This raises some very existential questions. Very thought provoking.
    Tina recently posted..Fall 2014My Profile

7. Christine says:

A really thought-provoking piece, Marcy. (Whoops, Tina beat me to it.) Nice response to the question.
    Christine recently posted..ReasonsMy Profile

8. Genna Claire says:

I loved this one, Marcy! It really got me thinking. I’m glad you freed them even if just for a day.

9. Jen says:

oh my goodness look at those things!! How fun. I love your picture and stories!
    Jen recently posted..The ChoiceMy Profile

10. Gina says:

I had a feeling something like those pictures was coming due to all your adventures. I like this response!
    Gina recently posted..Yeah Write Garblebuster: Scorched EarthMy Profile

11. Nathan James says:

Looks like your sons were very engaged. What are those things in her bag? Eels?
    Nathan James recently posted..RetirementMy Profile

12. For one, lovely writing! For two, the notion of letting go a critter does seem like it would be good for the soul. But the poor critters were captured! It does make me wonder if they live such a false freedom each day.
    Renada Styles recently posted..What Lies Within 09/23/14My Profile