Riddle on a Plate: What Am I?

Stone walls Aran Islands Ireland

Vitellus stares out from its wreath of albumen;
cured and smoked belly strips dare.

Fermented endosperm thanks magical fungus;
lycopene flaunts from its sphere.

Tuberous nightshade’s with musical fruit;
spore-bearing wonders are near.

Sliced pudding’s sincerely iron-ic.
Clearly, there’s plenty to share.

{Update: The riddle is explained in the comments, and you can check out a photo here: Gargleblaster page, #24 of 42}

This entry was posted in Food, Travel and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Riddle on a Plate: What Am I?

1. TN Kerr says:

I believe I know the answer. I have written it down on a piece of paper, time stamped it, placed it in an envelope (which I sealed afterward) and gave it to my lawyer for safekeeping. He has been instructed to open the envelope at the end of the challenge and pass my answer on to you.

Ha ha. This was great Marcy.

2. Great way to take on the question, with a riddle! I’d eat what’s on this plate, if I got that view to go with it. 🙂
    Jennifer Knoblock recently posted..If they were fishes…My Profile

3. Uma says:

That’s definitely a view to die for. Who cares what’s on the plate! It also seems as though nature divided them all in equal slices, easy to share 🙂
    Uma recently posted..Disparity #YeahWrite #GargleblasterMy Profile

4. Stacie says:

I think I know too (but I’ll have to check back to be sure-I’m sure there’s at least one thing on that plate that I wouldn’t eat). So clever, Marcy!
    Stacie recently posted..Man’s Best FriendMy Profile

5. Jo-Anne Teal says:

A most unique (and expertly wordsmithed) take on an full English breakfast! Nicely done, Marcy!
    Jo-Anne Teal recently posted..Feeding the soulMy Profile

6. I was very curious which of your travel adventures would be the source of your gargleblaster answer this week.
    I have a general answer to the riddle, but I’m stumped on a few of the components. The musical fruit is my least favorite addition to the plate.
    that cynking feeling recently posted..crowMy Profile

7. Silverleaf says:

Ah, fond memories of my years there – the view and the food, that is! Riddles are fun, especially when you can figure out the answer 🙂
    Silverleaf recently posted..What Your Curtains Say About YouMy Profile

8. Swoosieque says:

I must confess, I knew some of the things you spoke of but had to cheat and google a couple others. As a matter of fact, I think I’ll have this for breakfast. 😀

I loved your concept of turning this into a riddle!
    Swoosieque recently posted..Surfin’ U.S.A. – Cee’s Oddball #28My Profile

9. Nathan James says:

I never partook of the full Irish breakfast when I was there. Mostly because at that time I was vegetarian. I missed out on quite a bit of food because of that. “Lycopene flaunts from its sphere.” Way to make a tomato sound like a harlot.
    Nathan James recently posted..Dinnertime ShowdownMy Profile

10. Shailaja V says:

I confess I couldn’t get the entire picture, but I like what you painted on the plate 🙂
    Shailaja V recently posted..From 15 to 50: Fiction Link Up- September 2014My Profile

11. abugandabee says:

I have no idea. 🙂

12. Christine says:

Wow, Marcy, I think this is the first time somebody answered the question with a riddle. I think Douglas Adams would approve. I really love the lush vocabulary – it’s obviously intended to obfuscate, but such beautiful words! Great poem – thanks for linking it up!
    Christine recently posted..PaintMy Profile

13. Your riddle is more delicious than the plate of food it describes – a wonderful take on the prompt.
    Sarah Ann Hall recently posted..Ris de veau – #gargleblaster178My Profile

Aw thanks, but the plate of food was good, although very heavy. I wasn’t crazy about the last item, but the rest of it was delicious.

14. What a tasty flirty riddle delight!
    Love Happy Notes recently posted..I scream for Ice-creamMy Profile

15. Marcy says:

Thanks for all the great comments. Here’s the answer to the riddle.

Full Irish Breakfast, featuring (line by line):

An egg (vitellus = yolk, albumen = egg white),
    bacon,
    bread (wheat thanking yeast),
    tomato,
    potato, beans (the musical fruit),
    mushrooms,
    black pudding (blood pudding).

I’ll post a photo when I add it to my Gargleblaster page: http://www.tootimidandsqueamish.com/42-2/

Thanks for playing along 🙂
    Marcy recently posted..Riddle on a Plate: What Am I?My Profile

16. Pingback: Searching for Dan Donnelly’s right arm | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish