Soaring

We ran off the cliff.
A thermal caught us and we soared,

tight
circles
up
on
a
column
of
air.

I landed, shaking,
never so close to death,
never so alive,
my first time hang gliding off a cliff —

and my last.

Marcy hang gliding Switzerland 1987

Lost in a Funhouse collage

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Soaring

1. Tina says:

Yeah…no. I did good to get into a small plane. Good for you, though!
    Tina recently posted..Microfiction: Deja VuMy Profile

2. Stacie says:

I am pretty sure I’m never going to have a first time hang gliding!
    Stacie recently posted..Imperfect TechnologyMy Profile

3. This would be one of those many things I’m happy to do vicariously.
    Good on you, Marcy!
    KymmInBarcelona recently posted..Adult EducationMy Profile

4. Keirthana says:

My. it must have been one helluva experience 🙂
    Keirthana recently posted..A new attempt everyday!My Profile

5. Uma says:

I’d love to do hang gliding someday and wonder if I’d muster courage to do it again 🙂
    Uma recently posted..Quid Pro QuoMy Profile

Yes, that’s it. I’ve done a lot of things once. I had been in the hang gliding club at my college and just glided along a low hill, so when this opportunity came up, I felt like I had to try it.

6. Marcy says:

Thanks for the comments, everyone. These 42-word challenges often make me wish for more words to tell the rest of the story. I guess that’s what the other challenges can be for.
    Marcy recently posted..Oh My Garlic: The Garlic & Harvest FestivalMy Profile

7. Jen says:

OMG. I used to have dreams that I would do this, but I don’t think I actually could!
    Jen recently posted..Food FightsMy Profile

8. Are you sure you won’t try again? Excitement and exhilaration rather than the fear came across in your piece.

9. Silverleaf says:

You are so courageous! I’m terrified of heights, falling out of planes, etc. So I don’t think I’ll have a first at this either. I really liked the way you controlled the rhythm and timing of this piece through the layout.

10. Marcy says:

It was thrilling, and I’m glad I did it. I also was glad to be back on the ground and felt like once was enough! I’m that way with a lot of things. I want to try them once, and then I feel satisfied and don’t want to press my luck.
    Marcy recently posted..SoaringMy Profile

11. Nate says:

That’s amazing. I wish I could soothe the worrier in my head enough to let myself do that.
    Nate recently posted..First Time At BenihanaMy Profile

12. Katy B. says:

What a great description of the experience! I’ve had a few of those situations myself – glad I did it but never again.
    Katy B. recently posted..BetrothedMy Profile

13. You are braver than I am in this area for sure! I barely mastered my fear of heights well enough to ride a roller coaster – I can not imagine managing hang gliding! On the other hand, there are lots of other scary things I think I could do – but they occur on the ground 🙂
    Splendid Empress recently posted..New Theme: PenscratchMy Profile

14. Meg says:

I love your adventures, Marcy! Somehow I could imagine hang gliding but not parachuting. Anyway, I also like how you painted an airplane in your poem.
    Meg recently posted..Fear of FlyingMy Profile

15. Marcy says:

I know I could never jump out of a plane. I don’t want to and have never let myself entertain the idea. My husband wants to, and I don’t even want to “let” him do it. Thanks for the comments 🙂 It was fun to share a little piece of this adventure from a long, long time ago–1987.
    Marcy recently posted..SoaringMy Profile