My hiking past is littered with tense moments tiptoeing near the edges of cliffs, and there was the time I felt I had to jump off one. There was nothing scary, though, about taking the Cliff Walk in Newport, RI, on a cold but brilliant winter’s day with my family.
We walked the beautiful path along the ocean to the Breakers, one of Newport’s historic “cottages” of the ultra-rich.
Two of us elected to wear headphones for a self-guided audio tour. This is the perfect strategy for when you want two of you to stroll around a mansion shouting little tidbits on the history of the Vanderbilt family to the other two of you, even though those other two would have gotten headphones for themselves if they’d been interested. OK, maybe only one of us was shouting. I’ve never quite gotten the hang of talking quietly while wearing headphones.
After touring the mansion, we walked back along the Cliff Walk and down to the sea.
Later that day: Take a glassblowing class.
Speaking of cliffs, my worst-best cliff moment was probably the Skycoaster at Royal Gorge, Colorado, an attraction that swung me out over a thousand-foot gorge. My son David, age 10 at the time, twisted my arm to get me to do it, and then clung to my arm, terrified out of his mind. He’s on my left in the video below. I love the video, but it still makes my nerves rattle. If you watch the video, you’ll get to hear me scream, and if you stick with it until the end, you’ll get to hear me scream in slo-mo.
That feeling of the ground under your feet again: priceless.
A slideshow of some favorite cliff-side moments
MultiMEDIA Splice #8
- Bloggers: Welcome to the eighth week of MultiMEDIA Splice. Please join me by linking up a cliff-related post or a multimedia post on any topic. Extra credit for a cliff-related multimedia post.
- My favorite post in the “glass” link party last week: On glass and taking things for granted by Carol Apple of Carol’s Notes
- Next week’s theme: Invisible. (I didn’t have an idea ready to go, and my husband challenged me to this one.)
How to link up:
- Copy the above code and paste it into the text view of your post.
- Then link up your post by clicking “Add your link” below. (Link up every Sunday.)
- One more thing: Please don’t link and run! Try to visit and comment on a few blogs that link up.