How to Avoid the Killing of Darlings

Those darlings
breathe on,
beloved,
to emerge
in new pieces
with old souls.

42 New York City subway station staff pick from yeah write 224 for how to avoid the killing of darlings

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to How to Avoid the Killing of Darlings

1. Kathy says:

You know, I LOVE this. Brilliant! ♥
    Kathy recently posted..Just Write!My Profile

2. Awesome. You gave such a fresh look to the ingredients of writing
    Ruby Manchanda recently posted..The prophesierMy Profile

3. Christine says:

I love that a whispered comment during a breakout session stuck with you!! And oh my goodness, how fantastic to have you back again. We missed you!
    Christine recently posted..EgoMy Profile

4. Nate says:

Hooray, Marcy’s back! And kicking down doors with this one. Oh, those pulsing hearts!

5. Kalpana solsi says:

And what lovely advice from Christine.

True! I already had a habit of saving some discarded paragraphs of tangents or ideas that I couldn’t develop into a whole piece, and sometimes I look back at the file where I save them (called “Nuggets”), and they serve as a seed for a new piece. Christine’s comment, though, really struck me as taking the love of words to a whole different level, the poet’s level, where a certain combination of words is saved and valued and sometimes used in a new way.

6. Michael says:

Very good advice. 🙂 I save fragments of stories myself, because you never know when those might turn up again.

7. Yeshasvi says:

Oh this is beautiful! Taken out of context, I was struggling to connect, but when I read through the comments I realized: what a work of genius this is!

8. Pingback: yeah write #224 challenge winners

9. Pingback: yeah write weekly writing challenge is open for microstories!

10. Pingback: My #BlogHer15 Recap as a Timid and Squeamish VOTY Featured Honoree: From Excited to Terrified to Exuberant | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

11. Pingback: Year in Review 2015: Just When I Thought I Was Out | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish