The Bushnell Park Carousel, a Delight with Barbecue to Boot

Bushnell Park Carousel in Hartford, CT

With a wide-open Saturday and a new camera lens, I longed to visit the Bushnell Park Carousel on a crisp November afternoon. I wanted my family to come along, but they were reluctant.

Barbecue to the rescue.

I assured them 30 minutes, tops, for the photo shoot, and separately asked them to estimate the percentage chance they’d ride the carousel.

Zero. Zero percent.

Bushnell Park Carousel in Hartford, CT

I started taking a few photos, and to my delight my husband Randy went on up and bought three $1 tickets for the next ride.

Bushnell Park Carousel in Hartford, CT

Bushnell Park Carousel in Hartford, CT

Bushnell Park Carousel in Hartford, CT

The carousel started, a kaleidoscope of sweet, distorted sound, flashes of color and light, and stretching, careening shapes.

Bushnell Park Carousel in Hartford, CT

We dismounted, and as the ride started up again, I took a series of blurry photos, with a few gorgeous splashes of color and light frozen in my sights.

Bushnell Park Carousel in Hartford, CT

I needed more, and I searched for the black and silver beauty, a horse named Sir Galahad.

Bushnell Park Carousel in Hartford, CT

Bushnell Park Carousel in Hartford, CT

Bushnell Park, Hartford, CT

And after all that we still had barbecue ahead. (Vegans, look away.)

Bear's Smokehouse Barbecue, Hartford, CT

Bear's Smokehouse Barbecue, Hartford, CT

Things to do in Connecticut Things to Do in Connecticut

Bushnell Park Carousel, Hartford, CT

Bushnell Park Carousel, Hartford, CT

Update–I played around with creating an HDR effect in Photoshop:
Bushnell Park Carousel dutch HDR effect Bushnell Park Carousel Dan Randy HDR effect Bushnell Park Carousel Sir Galahad HDR effect

This entry was posted in Connecticut and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Bushnell Park Carousel, a Delight with Barbecue to Boot

1. Linda says:

Marcy, you may think these are beautiful because of the shiny new lens. In fact, your skill and exuberance, and the love of your family, make these bright, happy pictures so compelling. If I’m ever in the area I want to ride that carousel!
    Linda recently posted..Thoughts of Support for ParisMy Profile

Linda, I love the way you look at life! Thank you so much for your kind comment. And I hope you get to ride it one day. Let me know if you do–there’s great barbecue nearby 🙂

2. Arden Ruth says:

OMG I need that barbecue in my life right now!!! Beautiful photos, Marcy! I love carousels!
    Arden Ruth recently posted..WorthyMy Profile

3. The carousel is beautiful! The BBQ is also beautiful. I love the “blurry” picture, and the one where you all look so happy, having fun.
    “Oh, to those joyous moments, when you’ve already accepted a lesser perfection. Love bubbles up and spreads and shines.”
    Jennifer Knoblock recently posted..Not in NarniaMy Profile

Thanks, Jennifer. Now that my boys are pretty much grown (with one away at college), these little bits of family fun like the “old days” are few and far between. I am so glad I got that photo of the three of us. A very nice attendant asked me if I would like a photo, and she had to back way up because of the lens I had on–I was thrilled that it came out 🙂

4. Kim Ferguson says:

I love carousels and have always yearned for my own merry-go-round horse – there’s a place in Atlanta that sells vintage ones. Fabulous pictures and very delicious-looking ‘Q!
    Kim Ferguson recently posted..A Hellacious Belle’s Guide to the New South: Food and FamilyMy Profile

The vintage carousel shop must be a fun place to visit! There’s a museum in CT that I haven’t been to yet and plan to check out. I’ll be back for more barbecue too–that was my first time there, and we all loved it. Thanks for your comment.

5. Kristin says:

I love the realistic look of this carousel. Just gorgeous!
    Kristin recently posted..Same as it ever wasMy Profile

6. Kay says:

That barbecue is so beautiful… And your family and the carousel too of course! 🙂

You captured a lovely fall day here.

7. Pingback: Year in Review 2015: Just When I Thought I Was Out | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish