Perfection slips away, one shot at a time

Spectators at Copper Valley Club

The ball springs off his racket toward my sweet spot; I’ll smash a forehand down the line:

racket back,
turn sideways,
little steps,
line it up,
track it,
bend my knees,

a split second late, and that ball sails wide.

Tennis balls at CVC cardio tennis

42 New York City subway station Perfection slips away Editor Pick from yeah write 257

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Perfection slips away, one shot at a time

1. Cyn K says:

Nice to see your words back at yeah write. Good building of tension.

2. Abby says:

From your title, I was thinking of a different kind of “shot”.
    This is a good one. We used to play a lot of tennis. The perfect shot has such a good feel to it. Maybe because it’s so rare 🙂

Ha ha, Abby, and you are so right. Every once in a while, all of those little requirements come together in a perfect shot. It’s such great moment!

3. I love how you slow down time with your short short lines. Subtle, clever take on the prompt. Nice to see you here again!

Thank you, Jennifer. There is so much to think about in those last moments before hitting a shot. I guess for better players, it all comes together naturally, but I have to keep reminding myself of what feels like too much to do in too short a time. 🙂

4. Good to see you back at YW! The daughter plays tennis and this one was so spot on. Watching her reach for that tough shot is sheer fun and torture too!
    Shailaja Vishwanath recently posted..Vanished #MicrostoryMy Profile

I don’t know which is more nerve wracking–playing a match myself or watching my kids play a match. That’s not true–it’s more nerve wracking to watch my kids! Thanks for the comment, Shailaja.

5. Arden Ruth says:

So nice to see you back, Marcy! Oh, tennis. It’s the one sport I always wanted to be good at, but apparently the universe had other plans for me. I’m terrible!!

Ha ha, Arden. I know what you mean. I have gotten to the point that I can play socially (and it’s a blast), but it just doesn’t come naturally. Thanks for the kind words.

6. Liv says:

Damn! So close!

7. Oh! All that fine tuning and … blame it on the ball 🙂

8. Kristy L says:

This is fun! I love how you broke it down. 🙂

9. Pingback: yeah write #257 challenge winners

10. Pingback: Year in Review 2016: Top 12 Posts | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish