At the Boston Women’s March: The Seeds are Planted

At the Boston Women’s March yesterday, I joined thousands and thousands. At one elbow stood an elderly woman, worried about health care and the loss of common decency, and at the other stood a male M.I.T. student, worried about the rights of others being threatened. I stood amid people from diverse backgrounds, crowded peacefully in a historic park, with bursts of pink all around proclaiming support for women.

The turnout exceeded all expectations, not just in Boston, but in cities throughout the U.S. and around the world. Some commentators speculated that this was the largest single day of protest in our nation’s history.

On the stage, the speakers implored us to fight for American values of equality, tolerance, and diversity, to stand up for the vulnerable, for the planet, for science, and for our rights.

One of the speakers on the Boston Common invoked the revolutions and protests that have happened on that same patch of land throughout American history, going back to the earliest days of the American Revolution, and linked the Women’s March with our country’s other historic fights for justice.

I went into Boston with my husband, and we met up with our son who attends college nearby. In a minor miracle, he found us among the cheerful crush of humanity. We stayed glued to our spot near the fourth tree from the flag and guided him to us over the course of an hour.

The size of the crowd made logistics a challenge, with long waits in gridlock to line up for the march, but the peaceful crowd stayed patient.

Singing and chants broke out here and there, a respite from the brutal, depressing year of Trump’s campaign of hate, as well as from his inaugural address the day before, which painted such a grim, illusory portrait of America. While home sick during the inauguration, I watched it on television and worried that my impulse to bear witness would give him one little piece of the ratings he so craves. I heard him take the oath and saw the rain start to fall with my own ears and eyes, but somehow I pushed it away from myself as I let out a sob.

Only a day later and a few hours north, I looked deep into the crowd and couldn’t see the end of it, saw kindness and hope and grit and resolve, all just one part of a vast movement to reclaim America.

At home that night, I saw my Facebook feed flooded with photos from marches all across the country, and on the news I saw reports of the huge protests all around the world.

As I turned off the light for bed, I noticed my cheeks had turned a little pink, that even in the darkest of winter a few hours in the sun will have an impact.

A million seeds of resistance were planted yesterday. May they bloom.

The Women’s March launched a campaign to take “10 Actions for the First 100 Days” of Trump’s presidency. Update 1 –Send postcards to Congress:

Update 2–Huddle:

After the Women's March, a Huddle

“First, we marched. Now we huddle.” — A group meeting in Cheshire, CT on Feb. 11, 2017

Update 3: Hear Our Voice
From the Women’s March organizers: “Click here to listen to a recording of the kickoff tele-townhall, with Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Cecile Richards of Planned Parenthood, Leah Greenberg of Indivisible, leaders from the United State of Women, and Women’s March co-chairs Bob Bland and Carmen Perez, about how you can take local action to stand up and fight for equality, justice and freedom.”

This entry was posted in Et Cetera and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to At the Boston Women’s March: The Seeds are Planted

1. Yay Marcy and family for marching! My friends and I are fired up — and wondering what the next step is!

The Women’s March organizers are encouraging people to take 10 actions during Trump’s first 100 days. The first action is sending postcards to your senators. There’s some info here: https://www.womensmarch.com/100 It will be interesting to see how many people stay involved and where things go from here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Diane.

2. Linda says:

Kudos to you, Marcy, for marching in such a historically significant city! I was in NYC and it was also wonderful. Nobody expected such a high turnout worldwide. We have much to be proud of.

3. Marcy says:

Thanks for the visits and comments. I revised this a little on 01/24.

4. Parul Thakur says:

Thanks for sharing the first-hand experience. Would you believe people joined the March here in India too? It happened in New Delhi and I wished there was one in my city too. A march or not – I am with what’s right and with women. Like you, I believe we deserve that for us.
    Parul Thakur recently posted..A dive to rememberMy Profile

Thank you for sharing the news about the march in New Delhi. It’s hard to imagine what people in other countries must be thinking about the U.S. It’s so strange here right now with news stories about all the terrible things Trump is doing coming out every few hours, and most people I know are in shock and disgusted, and then some people are thinking that he is wonderful. How??? I live in a very “blue” state that voted mainly for Clinton, but many people here voted for Trump too.
      Marcy recently posted..Year in Review 2016: Top 12 PostsMy Profile

5. Nancy K. says:

Thank you for sharing this, for DOING this, and for documenting it with pictures. During such turmoil it’s amazing that people are taking to the streets and exercising their first amendment rights respectfully. We will not be silenced. We will not stand down.
    Nancy K. recently posted..Putting Out FiresMy Profile

6. Laura says:

Your metaphor at the end about the sun on your cheeks really tied the whole thing together, and I think really reflected what a lot of us were thinking after that day. Very nice! 🙂

I saw a surge of optimism over the next few days, and now other rallies and events are being planned. I’m not sure how it all can add up to change, but there’s power in large numbers for sure. Thanks, Laura

7. Uma says:

It’s great to have you describe the event first-hand. Such a huge turnout! Kudos to you all for participating in an organized and peaceful march.
    Uma recently posted..Awaiting colours of changeMy Profile

It was a thrilling experience to be among such a large group, even when walking around the city later on, and I’d expected to see Trump supporters, too, but didn’t. I saw one woman holding an anti-Obama sign early in the day, so maybe she was against the event. Thank you, Uma.

8. Nancy Lowell says:

We must keep marching, if for no other reason than to stay sane. I feel as if we’ve fallen through the looking glass.

9. Anusha says:

Keep fighting the fight. Thank you for telling us what it was like, we who live halfway across the world!

10. It warms my heart to see so many people coming together like this. I’m very invested in what happens in the US, but I was so surprised that marches happened here in Australia too. Unfortunately I found out too late and the major city I live in was not one of the 3 that marched so I didn’t get to. But it made me so happy to see my newsfeed also blow up with pictures of that marches around the world.

11. Wonderful! I was at a rally in the Midwest that day and felt that same surge of hope. Thanks too for sharing that link. It’s good to have next steps to focus on.

12. Pingback: My 6th Blogoversary: Continuing to Evolve | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish

13. Pingback: Activist Update | (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish